Friday 2 March 2007

The seldom seen male knitter

I've heard that men knit and I even chatted to one or two online through the knitting forums. The BF's uncle used to do French knitting many years ago, but I'd never actually seen a male knitter until last night.

Vaughn arrived at the knitting group ('Borders', Stockport) last night with a fantastic "Dr Who" scarf in progress. He's learning to knit and he certainly has garter stitch sewn up (*cringes at the semi-pun*). And, he wants to learn how to make socks! We nearly have another addict. So, our group is going to teach him to purl, cast on, cast off and the other techniques he'll need for sock-knitting.

I still haven't seen a bloke knit, as Vaughn was more interested in chatting about what he would like to learn, but I'm confident that I will soon.

3 comments:

Kai said...

They're definitely out there, but you're right, I don't think I've seen one either.

Apart from my Granda who taught me a few of the basics. :)

Lindsey said...

I hadn't seen one until I started my knitting club at school. I have 3 boys and one male teacher knitting now...and a few more who say they want to learn but haven't had time to come yet. One of the boys was my fastest learner--he had garter stitch down in about 30 seconds! One of the boys was quite nervous at first about trying--"it's a girl thing"--but he found he really liked it.

Fiona Reynolds said...

It's so cool that there are boys interested in learning to knit.