Thursday 8 March 2007

I'd rather be knitting

I've spent all afternoon working on an ethics approval form for a piece of research I want to do. Form filling is not the greatest way to spend an afternoon and ethics forms... Well, my friend Paul describes completing them as "having someone stand behind you flicking your ears, for three hours".

I have given up for the day now. It's for the best. I have completed the main section (which is vast) and that's not bad going. Then I reached the supplemental form... it wants me to repeat everything I have just typed.

The damn thing is meant to be a marvel of electronic wonder - removing sections that become unnecessary depending on your answers; and allegedly copying information from the main document to the supplementary section. Well, it doesn't do that completely.

You know, there are people who spend their lives developing these things. Are they sadists? I hate form-filling. They're either voluminous monstrosities that want your life in tedious detail or so superficial that you wonder what the point of bothering with them actually is.

It's too early to go home and knit.

On a happy note, the Spring edition of "Knitty" is out! Hurrah! Teabreak, I think.

5 comments:

Hellbelle said...

A brew and a browse of Knitty sounds like a perfect teabreak to me :)

Badger said...

I need to fill in my masters application form soon (ideally a few weeks ago, if anyone has a time travel device they're not using) so I feel your pain. Enjoy Knitty and the cuppa!

WildPurl said...

I hate filling in forms too. I think the designers should be made to fill in hundreds of their own forms as a test.
I like your knitting resolutions, I'll be impressed if you keep them all! I'd like to do number 5 as well, though, this year. How hard can it be? ;-)

Fiona Reynolds said...

Knitbert - I couldn't agree more for a form-designer's punishment.
Badger - best of luck with the Masters application. What will you be studying?

Knitty was great. :-)

Kai said...

*hugs*

forms are made by the devil. seriously.

i hate all forms. even the smallest ones. you have my sympathies... hope you enjoyed Knitty!! :)