Friday 2 March 2007

Gloves - surprisingly easy.

I cast on the first glove on Tuesday morning. After seven rows, the ribbing wasn't looking right so I finally decided to count the stitches. Odd number! "Bugg'rit" in the words of Foul Ole Ron. Naturally some frogging ensued, though the seed stitch effect wasn't too bad.

The glove was cast on, again, on Tuesday night and here's what it looked like at the end of last night's knitting group.



Glove knitting could be a new addiction. The pattern is nice and simple and it's a really logical progression. While 'Knitty' taks about 'tangy', 'piquant' and 'extra-spicy' levels of ease, I would put glove making at 'One glass of wine' especially if you have made a couple of pairs of socks.

Levels:

Stay sober - very tricky and fiddly pieces, or as Knitty puts it: "These babies have teeth!"
Have a shandy - difficult, but really not that much of a problem.
Glass of wine - very easy, but keep an eye on the detail.
Bottle of wine - an absolute doddle.

PS. I had to apologise to a lady at last night's group. She first came to group about six weeks ago when she saw me making a pair of socks... I did warn her.

It's catching I tell you.

Last night she was making the most beautiful pair of "Colinette Jitterbugs" for herself - having made four pairs recently: three swiped by her husband and the last pair by her grandson who calls them his 'shocks'. :-)

5 comments:

Kai said...

pretty, pretty glove... *pets it*

I really have to give them a go at some point...

dreamcatcher said...

The gloves look great :-)

To your "Bugg'rit!" I say, "Millennium hand and shrimp!" :-D

Fiona Reynolds said...

Cheers! "Millenium hand and shrimp!" Argh! I know that saying from somewhere.

Lindsey said...

Very nice glove! Will have to try that sometime....and I very much like your new difficulty rating system. I think we might also need a system that ranks difficulty by the interest level of a TV show you could watch while knitting--but maybe that's too subjective! ;-)

gilraen said...

Great looking gloves. I like your rating better than Knitty's, at least I understand yours ;) :D