Friday 8 June 2007

Hallelujah!!!

I've just returned from a conference in York. During the day I've managed to squeeze in several knitting related adventures.

Taking my trusty sock yarn ("Fortissima - Sombrero") with me on the train, I managed to add a few more rounds to the dismal two I managed before the prawns struck me two weeks ago. When the train reached Huddersfield, a lady got on and after she sat down, I heard the unmistakable 'tink' of knitting needles dropping out of a bag onto the table. At first I thought she was making A Gryffindor scarf - the yarns were claret and gold. However, she was actually adapting the Alan Dart elephant pattern from "Simply Knitting".

We chatted about knitting and yarns until the train reached York.

This afternoon, I strolled off to 'The Shambles' in search of "Sheepish" and spent some time browsing through their stock. There is some lovely stuff in there. However, although I saw some beautiful "Regia" sock yarn which was very tempting, I didn't buy anything.

I did pick up a copy of "Knit Today" to read in the Museum Gardens (accompanied by a chocolate icecream). It came with a small pamphlet of baby patterns. I am taken with the chunky cardigan and the T-shirt and combats combo. There is also a beautiful "Rowan - Kidsilk Haze" cardigan. However, other than that... I'd give this edition a Peanut on the "Revel" scale of magazine content.

It was actually the first time I had picked up a copy and I'm not certain I will buy another.

However, yesterday I bought a copy of "Knitting" which I was impressed with. I like the reviews and I was really impressed with the clarity of the techniques section. There were also several patterns I liked - especially the plain men's (ok, unisex) jumper. On the "Revel" scale, this is definitely a Toffee.

Magazine buying - like everything - is very much determined by personal taste. I can take a passionate dislike to an article if I don't like its tone and style. "Knit Today" felt quite staid, even if there were some funky designs - such as the mock rib jumper. "Knitting" feels more professional and isn't patronising.

PS Our "Borders" knitting group now have a name. We decided on "The Mad Knitters' Tea Party" - inspired by the birthday cake brought in by one of the girls. It was iced to looks like some knitting, with a pair of actual needles and a sample sticking out of it. (There's a photo on my phone but I can't find my cable).


(Edited: Found it!!)

PPS The "Moon and Stars" blanket for bump is progressing nicely...however, the photo cable is safely hidden somewhere.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where does orange lie in your ratings. It's hard to know how trustworty you are without that information.

gilraen said...

I love them all.......Revels that is, but my favourite is the chocolate one. :)

Kai said...

ohh nice to share a train trip with someone else that knits! :)

That cake looks yummy..

Piglottie said...

Thank cake is wonderful! Whoever made it is soooo clever. Sheepish is my nearest yarn store. Lovely place, gorgeous location - nice to be able to feel the yarn irl :)