Sunday 17 June 2007

Crochet - A Dark Art

Actually, it's not. For months I've been trying to crochet and been getting nowhere with it. I decided to give this dark art another bash yesterday. What triggered this was knitting group the other night - Mad Knitters' Tea Party - when one of the ladies who comes to the group gave three of us a master class in crochet. The main thing was that she showed me a way of holding the hook and yarn that 'clicked' for me.

Here are the results...



This is a 'twirly' scarf for my niece. I did a row of double-crochet in shocking pink, then a row in lilac of half-treble, and finally the triple-treble. However, it looked like I was running out of lilac yarn, so the middle third is back in the shocking pink. It doesn't look much but I am incredibly pleased with it.



This morning, I still had the crochet bug... so I improvised a flower badge to go with the scarf. I can't believe how quick crochet is to create something. Ok, so I was only making small things but the speed is so surprising.

Knitting remains my first love, but I was still on the instant gratification kick, though not for socks, and I started making "Archie" ("Rowan Babies") in "Opal - Lollipop" for Bump. The back is already finished. Instead of buttons (as I don't know whether Bump is a boy or girl), I'm going to use press-studs.



PS On Friday, after a few mini-panics because the vendors' solicitors were not replying to faxes, it was finally agreed that we would exchange on Tuesday or Wednesday... we think. I am such a pessimist, but living in such a state means never being disappointed. You're either proved right or pleasantly surprised!

:-)

6 comments:

Kai said...

welcome to the world of crochet!! once you get the hang of it, you'll love it. and the projects can be as easy or as complicated as you want.

The Lollipop looks v.cool. :)

Hellbelle said...

Opal makes great baby clothes, looks fab and it washes really well.

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed for the move too :)

gilraen said...

Crochet, I can just about do chains, well done. they look lovely.

You will soon have a lovely collection of beautiful knits for 'bump' :D

WildPurl said...

Oh isn't moving ghastly, I have my fingers crossed that all will go ahead for you this week. It will all be worth it in the end!

Love the crochet, and I agree it seems so fast to make things in crochet. I have a crochet pattern for a shrug and I am so going to make it this year. No really, by the end of the summer. No really...

Piglottie said...

Oooh, come back from the dark side :) It looks lovely though, and I really like the colour combo!

Fingers crossed on the moving front.

Lindsey said...

I found crochet very confusing at first, too--kept trying to hold it like I was knitting, I guess. It's amazing when it clicks, isn't it? Your scarf and flower are lovely!