Sunday 3 June 2007

Completed "Paisley"

While it may be far too hot to wear (and one of our neighbours is thoughtfully sharing their music), I've finished "Paisley". I always underestimate how long it will take me to finish belts and ties, so Friday's theory that I would finish that night was far too optimistic. :-)

Here is the view from the back.



And... Here is the view from the front. I really like the sweep of the huge collar and it will be a lovely, big, warm cardi to snuggle into when it's cold. I made the belt about 40-50cm shorter than the pattern recommendations as it would have been trailing below my knees otherwise.



I didn't really understand the pattern's instructions about knotting lengths of yarn through the cast-on and cast-off edges of the belt. I couldn't see how this would hold the belt in place and allow it to move so made my own belt loops which you can see in the pic below, if you squint!



I liked the way the slipped stitches at the edge of the belt created a looped effect so I did something similar:

Cast on 6 stitches.
For 24 rows - Slip first stitch knitwise, purl two, knit two purl.
Cast off in pattern.

I felt the belt hoops needed to be chunky to match the overall feel of the complete cardi.

PS I got a new laptop yesterday so I will try to update my blog more often.

Why is it always the people with the cackest taste in music who feel the biggest need to share?

10 comments:

Kai said...

Paisley looks absolutely lovely..! :)
and so do you..!

Fiona Reynolds said...

Aw, Kai - you're a star.

Glenna C said...

Oooh, I just love it! What a gorgeous and comfy-looking sweater. Where does the pattern come from?
You're right, those pesky belts and things always take more time than i think they should. Isn't it done when the big pieces are done? ;)

Linda said...

Paisley is a fantastic sweater and it looks great on.That will be so cosy in the winter!

belaybunny said...

yes, paisley looks fab. That will be great for winter, I think I need one too :)

Seahorse said...

Really lovely! Like the belt loops :)

Hellbelle said...

Looks fantastic!

And I absolutely agree about the music thing. I was in Tesco carpark yesterday and some bloke was in a souped up looking car with stereo blasting for all to hear. Sadly, he was listening to Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice

*sigh*

Fiona Reynolds said...

"Ice Ice Baby"?!!?!?! Oh my god!! Sounds like the inspiration for "Pretty Fly for a White Guy".

Ah, the summer..... :-)

gilraen said...

Wow! It looks so cosy and given our climate it will get plenty of use! :)

Looks good on you too. :)

dreamcatcher said...

Paisley is lovely, it will be a super cardi for winter :-)