Saturday 19 January 2008

Poo, Bum, Willy, Fart!

In an attempt to reduce my swearing... the title of this post.

Thursday night's knitting group (Mad Knitters' Tea Party) held in "Starbucks" ("Borders", Stockport) was very informative.

I learned that what I should have done with that flippin' table runner was do French seams. Put simply, I think this means that I should have converted the three pieces of material to two - attaching the voile to one of the pieces of cotton, and then sewing the other piece of cotton to this as the backing... which would have hidden all the seam work. Not sure if I can work out how to put this theory into practice....hmmm.

(Camera is still playing silly buggers).

One of the other things I learned was that "Borders" seems to have noticed its knitting group - not that it hadn't previously, but in terms of knitting magazines, Thursday night was a bonanza: "Knit 1", "Knitting", "Simply Knitting", "Knit Today", "Vogue Knitting", "Interweave Knits", "Knitters", "Let's Knit" and one or two other titles that I can't remember. Either "Borders" has suddenly increased its stock or it's always like this and Thursday just happened to be the first time I had noticed it. I'm the most observant person in the world.

(I picked up "Let's Knit", for the free DPNs and there are about four patterns in there that I like; and I also took a copy of "Knitters" because there was a substantial number of designs that I was rather taken with).



In current knitting news... I've done a few rows of the first sleeve all ready. The pattern is a doddle to follow and knits up incredibly quickly. (The shade is "Maccu Piccu" - a lovely deep blue).



In other sewing news... I turned the material, my friend Sian gave me, into a cushion this afternoon. This really didn't take long because I didn't make any piping. I have to admit that in future I will always do piping because I think it looks better, especially for hiding the zip... unless I sew a flap to disguise it.



Above: The material. Until the camera sorts itself out, you'll just have to take my word that I actually did turn it into a small cushion.

8 comments:

gilraen said...

Oh that is sod's law!!! At least you now know how to do it easier the next time. :)

I wish we had a Borders/Starbucks here, the nearest Starbucks is 40miles away, that I know of that is. :(

That material would make a georgeous cushion here's to the camera behaving itself asap! :)

Anonymous said...

Yet further proof, if proof were needed, that sewing is one of the dark arts.

I like that scarf pattern. The colours are a bit sickly for me, but I do like the twisty deely.

Viknits said...

Ooh I love that material, can't wait to see a pic! You're doing ever so well with your sewing - I'm going to come to you for my sewing questions in future :) I'm self taught so it's all trial and error over here! :s (more error than trial right now)

I got that Knitter's too, that scarf looks great doesn't it, definitely on my to do list. I also dislike those colours, but imagine it in black and red for example.. ;)

And yeah Borders are generally good for mags, just sometimes they have all of them and sometimes very few. Myabe they've been sold out previously!

Linda said...

That scarf is great, I have bought knitters before but didn't really take to it. I will give it another chance.

Cinders said...

I quite like Lets Knit. It has alot of small stuff to do and they like socks! There's a knitting group at borders near me but as I cant drive I cant go...
your sewing looks great to me. I can hardly sew a button on!

Anonymous said...

LOL @ the post title.

And awesome cushion material.

Hellbelle said...

Those are nice patters, the scarf is very interesting. I keep going back and having a look at it!

Hope the camera gets over itself soon :)

Janey said...

Looking forward to seeing that cushion, the fabric is lovely. Oh and that scarf.... I NEED that pattern NOW!!