Tuesday 22 January 2008

I Don't Like It

It's cold. I haven't had a shower since Saturday night. We can only wash the dishes, and ourselves, by boiling a kettle. I don't like it.



Yes, we've joined the statistics - the boiler broke down on Sunday afternoon.

Cutting a long, and frankly, boring, story short... we rang the company yesterday (as the staff don't work on a Sunday) and I'm currently working from home to wait for someone to fix the boiler. (I'm on my lunchbreak BTW).

It would appear that our model of boiler has a particular problem that crops up around three to four years after installation. So, the company are on to a winner here. Our street was built 3.5 years ago. Let's say that they were paid £1000 to per boiler to install them to all of the houses and all of the flats, and three years later...they all start going wrong. Here's another windfall as they charge a £300 all inclusive fee for a call out and repair and further one year warrenty.

(Yes, the insurance will cover this but that's not the point).

We have radiators - no fire - and the showers are powered... by the boiler.

So, here I am, currently doing an impression of Austenesque genteel poverty... I've lit as many candles as I can find (for the warmth, rather than the light) and am wishing I had knitted some fingerless gloves when I thought of it!

At least the lap top is keeping my thighs warm.

:-)

7 comments:

Kai said...

*hugs*
boiler issues are always nasty. you have my sympathies! hopefully it'll be fixed soon...

Janey said...

Sending you warm thoughts.xx

You need to make a start on an afghan or throw as well as those fingerless mitts...help keep your knees warm!

Alternatively, forget the work thing and just sit and knit very very quickly to generate heat!

gilraen said...

Oh I would be hopping mad!!! Does anyone take pride in making anything to last??

I hope you get sorted asap Fiona!! Good idea about the laptop BTW :)

Anonymous said...

This is your time to shine! Surely you're surrounded by knitted jumpers and blankets and shawls. Or at the very least you have a fully indexed file of gauge squares from every project you've ever knitted that you keep handy for sewing together in case of emergency?

Linda said...

Poor you, I hope it gets fixed faster than you expect. Go and camp out in a library or somewhere!

Hawkesley said...

Sorry to hear about your boiler problem. I hope you've got plenty of handknitted scarves and socks to wear!

I hope it gets fixed soon.

Seahorse said...

No fun! You really do forget just how cold it gets without CH, don't you!?

Hope it gets fixed asap (or alternatively, you get to make the most of the Austen thing and a man in tight britches and a wet shirt magically appears!).