Wednesday 16 January 2008

Me Vs The Iron

Thanks to learning how to sew, I've also had to learn how to use an iron. Laundry philosophy has always been to get the clothes on hangers as soon as they come out of the washer, so that the creases drop out. When I was a student, I used to do my laundry on the nights I went out clubbing. Get everything onto hangers, turn the heat up, go out.

Sorted.

Below is the iron that my Mam gave me when I left home twelve years ago.

It has been used approximately five times in all of those years... three of these occasions in the last four months since starting my soft furnishings course.



Also on the board is, some near invisible, cream voile patterned with glittery stars. (Not the daisy ironboard cover).



Here is the voile laid out on red cotton sheeting... to be made into a table runner for Christmas. (Am determined to get it done for the next one).



Here's the start of the sewing... a nice invisible seam... but then it went pear shaped and the bloody camera stopped playing nicely too.

Photos in the next post:

1. The nearly finished table runner with really rough seaming. Looks rubbish. I think I followed the instructions correctly. I know I was nervous about ripping the voile.

(Note to self - voile Roman Blinds might not be the greatest idea I've ever had).

2. I intend to sew some ribbon around the edge to fudge the naff finishing. Photos of before and after will be shown.

3. What is going well... my knitting! Have finished the back and one of the fronts of my "Sirdar" wrap over jacket. Aye Caramba!

7 comments:

Janey said...

There seems a to be a theme amongst us bloggers at present. The last few blogs I've read all mention how much they hate Ironing!
Me too so well done for trying to crack it!

Kai said...

Ironing? What's that then?? :)

Can't wait to see the finished runner.. I like the two fabrics you've put together.

Hellbelle said...

Another non-ironer here too :)

I sewed voile for our windows when we moved in, it's tricksy stuff!

Linda said...

Thats a great bit of sewing. I loke ironing ...... no not really!!!!

Piglottie said...

LOL! I remember a very accomplished sewer telling me the key to good sewing was ironing :)

Cinders said...

Your sewing looks fab. I dont Iron. leave it to OH!
also love all the SEX from previous post. I havnt been over to Aileens for ages since that crochet course. 2 years? how time flies.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.