Tuesday 29 May 2007

Prawn Lurgie

I've had a disastrous knitting weekend.

I went to a mini-University reunion (which isn't why my weekend knitting didn't work) to catch up with my friend who emigrated to Canada after we finished our degrees. In the final year of studying journalism, one of our projects was to explore the culture, politics, and media regulations of another country. While I chose Finland, having been there the previous Summer, she (being a serious Bryan Adams fan) chose Canada - focusing particularly on Vancouver. During the research process she happened to glance over the shoulder of a Middlesborough FC fan and spotted someone on the mailing list with a Canadian email address. Confused yet?

Having agreed with the fan, it was alright to steal this contact for her project, she started emailing this chap. Then they began calling each other, and then it became plans to visit. At first we were a tad concerned about the axe-murderer potential of this situation, but thankfully our fears came to nothing. She and and her husband have been married for eight years and have two great kids.

So, she was back this weekend for a reunion and several of us agreed to meet up in a certain pub in Lincoln. On the way there, I cast on some "Fortissima - Sombrero" socks and dropped a stitch on the first row, which resulted in them being pulled out to start again. Two rows of the said socks were done this weekend. The reason for the rest of the my failed knitting is below.

While I won't go into too much detail, it may be wise to stop reading now if you are of a delicate disposition.

We met up in a certain pub on Saturday night for dinner. The pub is part of a large chain and selected for its child friendliness. I had prawn risotto. We had a lovely evening - catching up on everyone's news. One girl got married in Spain two years ago, another went travelling through Uganda and Rwanda on a gorilla safari for three weeks and came back with the most amazing photos and video footage. So, all in all, we had a lovely night.

Three hours after eating. I began to feel ill. One hour later I was vomiting for Britain, and that was how the rest of the night passed. We were staying at the BF's parents' house, as were the SIL and husband, their baby and two other pals from the reunion. So, I spent the night trying to do this quietly. (As I work in public health, I passed the time in the bathroom, playing guess the germ, too). Not fun. It lasted all day Sunday too, and I was too weak to knit.

Whilst I was absolutely fine yesterday, I was still feeling too weak. Very annoying.

5 comments:

Seahorse said...

Oh, you poor thing! I'm glad you at least got to catch up with your friends before disaster struck.

Glenna C said...

Oh, dear! I had a horrible food poisoning weekend like that in January, for two days I did nothing but lie on the couch and occasionally run for the bathroom. And yep, no knitting at all. i hope you feel better!

Hellbelle said...

Ugh, poor you!

Glad you are over it now and hope you feel much better soon.

Kai said...

Awww *hugs* you poor mite! Glad you're feeling better...

gilraen said...

Oh poor you, I always get caught by Prawns, you'd think I'd learn, but I love them..............

Glad your feeling a bit better....... :)