Wednesday 9 May 2007

Outrage

I'm outraged for a second time this week.

Have we been robbed again? No. Has the insurance company refused to cough up? No. The cheque is already in the post which is astounding, as opposed to outrageous.

It is an insurance related story.

The BF and I trotted off to see the mortgage lender's recommended insurer to discuss life insurance. (The BF plans to call "the boys" next month to have me bumped off... not if I get to the phone first). In the process of moving house, I think it's fair to say that, you will usually have to deal with a lot of salesmen who think they are good at "the patter". While you are trying to get your head around the maths involved and considering just what you would do if you suddenly caught a dose of Black Death; there's this 'comedian' telling you 'amusing' and 'witty' anecdotes.

We were answering the questions about which cancers and strange diseases run in the family when the insurance advisor reached the "HIV question": "Have you ever tested positive for HIV?"

Before we could say anything, the advisor launched into another 'joke'.

"What I mean is, do you bat for the other side?"

My jaw cracked on the desk, as it headed down towards the floor, and the advisor continued, oblivious to how shocked we were. He had apparently said this to another person who was gay, and our 'hero' in this tale had actually been embarrassed. I told him that we found his attitude offensive and that being gay isn't an indicator that anyone would be HIV positive. (There's always room for some health education even when I am seriously pissed off).

I am so angry. I'm planning to make a complaint about this man's attitude. I wonder if he'll be sent on equality/homophobia awareness training.

5 comments:

Seahorse said...

WHAT???!!! Good grief, I've encountered some idiots in my time but that's astounding in a so called 'professional' capacity.

Can we safely assume he didn't get your business?

Fiona Reynolds said...

I think we can most definitely assume that he did not get our business.

Kai said...

that is so not even remotely funny.

how disgraceful.

i'm glad you're complaining. he needs to be made aware how WRONG he is.

Badger said...

Well done for actually complaining about him. I think all too often people are shocked by racist/ homophobic/ sexist comments, but say nothing. It's only by kicing up a fuss about the total unacceptability of such comments that people are forced to confront their behaviour.

Linda said...

What an idiot he is. Well done for making a stand on that sort of behaviour.