Thursday 10 May 2007

Yet Another Dose of Outrage

Apologies for the language in this post.

I'm missing my knitting group tonight. Why? I was punched in the face earlier.

I was walking home from work, about ten minutes walk away from home, when I saw two teenagers walking towards me - a girl and a boy, both in their late teens. She bawled at me, (as a lot of kids do): "Have you got any cigarettes?"

I said, as I usually do when asked this: "No, sorry."

So far, so normal. I continued walking and her fist came from nowhere, smacking me at the bottom of my nose. I grabbed my phone from my pocket and then wasn't sure whether I wanted to take a photograph of the scally bitch or call the police. Then I realised there was blood pouring out of my nose.

At this point I just wanted to get home and set off walking around the corner, up the side road.

I'll also mention out here that this happened next to the A34 which is a busy road out of Manchester. Although it's a dual carriage at this stretch of the road, it runs through a residential area. I've lived here for nearly four years and it's a nice place to be.

There were a lot of cars going past and I just felt really embarrassed. I didn't want to be standing by the road, covered in blood, waiting for the police. However, two lovely girls had seen what had happened and pulled up (in their car) alongside me. They quickly got out. One of them rang the police and asked for an ambulance, while the other found as many tissues as she could for me.

They stayed with me and we chatted about how shocked we were - they for seeing it, and me for experiencing it. I called the BF, who was at home, and he drove around to find me: arriving at the same time as the ambulance.

The ambulance crew were great - they spent thirty minutes checking out that I was ok. It seemed like an incredibly long time for what turned out to be a very minor 'injury'. I decided not to go to A&E. While swollen, my nose isn't actually broken - it's just hurts.

I don't like crying in front of people I don't know so I held it together until the ambulance crew were finished with me. The BF knows this and he was standing in the doorway making jokes about the lack of "CSI" equipment.

There was nothing remotely scary about this situation. There was no threat - all the kids ask for cigarettes in the same way, with varying degrees of politeness. I've walked past groups of kids who seemed much more intimidating, with no consequences whatsoever. There was absolutely no warning. The bitch's fist came from nowhere.

I feel a lot better now. I'm angry that this fucking troll thought she had the right to thump me. I keep feeling her fist smack into my nose. I'm planning to take the day off tomorrow as I feel a bit wobbly and my face hurts. However, I will be walking to and from work, as usual, on Monday.

7 comments:

Piglottie said...

Fiona I'm so shocked, and so sorry that this happened to you. I don't know what else to say other than sending you *hugs* and I so admire your strong attitude.

gilraen said...

Fiona I am also really shocked. What a thing to happen............I agree with Piglottie, you are really brave.

Good luck on Monday :)

Kai said...

Oh Honey.... *hugs*

I'm really, really sorry you had to go through this.

What is wrong with people?

I'm glad the two girls stopped.

Seahorse said...

That's... terrible. I'm really shocked too. I hope you can deal with it and put it behind you asap but don't bottle it up - stuff like that takes time to get over.

{{{hugs}}}

Hellbelle said...

Jeez, that's awful.

Hope you are feeling much better soon and your nose isn't too badly bruised.

xx

Anonymous said...

I can't believe people. What a rotten damn thing to have happen. And I also can't believe the comments that insurance twit made that you mentioned in your last post. RAWR.

Beelzebub said...

*shocked!*

That's awful!!! What is wrong with people?

I really don't know what to say apart from I'm sorry it happened. And you are brave and absolutely right to keep walking to work. We can't have decent people driven off the streets by these nasty little monsters.