Tuesday 22 May 2007

Latest Knitting Progress

I briefly lost my sock mojo - actually, I got sick of making socks. However, this case of Second Sock Syndrome only lasted until Friday morning, when I had to go to London. Socks really are perfect for knitting on the train.

They're a compact knitting project and everyone looks at me like I'm the carriage weirdo. Marvellous. This means the real weirdo doesn't talk to me.

Anyway, I've finally finished my second pair of "Opal Hundertwassers", and it was about time too. I wasn't keen on them as I was making them - didn't really like the colourway, but I love the finished product. So here are my new favourite socks. Fickle, moi?



"Paisley" (Rowan Classic Weekend) is progressing at a rate of knots. (Good grief!) I've been sewing as I go, as you may have noticed I loathe and detest sewing up. I've finished the bulk of it and am now onto knitting up the bands and later the collar.



This is a really incredibly easy pattern to follow. Above is a pic of the left band's progress. The pattern says to knit the band and then slip stitch in place. As I have no idea what slip stitch is and am too lazy to look it up, I've knitted it in place and it seems to be working rather well, with minimal seam-showing.

(This is all "Tulip's" fault (Rowan 41). Once I learned how to knit the bands in place, rather than sewing them on, it became a new "thing" for me).

One issue with this pattern, is that I can't for the life of me work out why I couldn't knit this with the main 'body' of the fronts, rather than knitting it on afterwards.


And Gilraen has tagged me. Off to have a look now.

6 comments:

Auntie Noo said...

I "think" that the bands are supposed to be very slightly shorter than the main body of a cardi, so that is why you knit them separately, so that they "slightly" stretch when sewn on. No idea why, maybe they tend to stretch more than the body because of all the tugging they get???? - I'm sure a more experience cardigan knitter will tell us. Personally, I'd do exactly what you're doing!!!!!!

Fiona Reynolds said...

Cheers, Auntie Noo. The instructions do say the band needs to be stretched slightly, so I think what I'm doing will cover that.

Linda said...

Great socks! Look forward to seeing your other knit finished.

gilraen said...

I love the colour of your Hundertwassers, very bright and cheerful.

Knittting needles are so handy for keeping said weirdos at arms length :D

I also hate sewing up so much that I knit another garnment before I'll sew the last one up! :rollseyes: :D

Kai said...

cool socks! :) and i know all about the 'weirdo's' on the train!! :)

the cardi is looking lovely.

belaybunny said...

Nice socks, I love the colours.