Friday 9 February 2007

Virgin on the ridiculous!

As anyone watching the news will be aware, it has been snowing. I had to go to London for a few meetings yesterday (Thursday) and on Wednesday, certain rail journeys were already being cancelled. It hadn't started snowing at that point. So I called National Rail Enquiries...and the chap I spoke to was brilliant. I am becoming so unused to helpful service that when I do receive useful advice I wax lyrical for hours... Virgin however, well, my Mam always says: "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

The 07:23 train from Stockport was cancelled. I managed to get the 06:53 which was running late, so I got a good three hours on my "Jitterbug - Fire" socks. I also found a seat. On the way home, I caught the 17:05 from Euston. (I feel like I've spent my life standing on that concourse recently, with a ball of wool in my pocket to knit with. Socks are fantastic for such occasions). Platform announcments for Manchester trains only seem to come five minutes before departure so everyone was on tenterhooks waiting. Three trains had been cancelled so everyone was looking to get on this train.

The announcement started...people began to shuffle. Would it be Platform 7 or 13? Looking around, everyone was hedging their bets for the sudden dash...The announcement came - Platform 13! It was like a herd of wildebeest charging across the African plains. I didn't get a seat. I was crammed with three other people into the doorway of one of the carriageways...

...But I was still knitting. Crammed in with my bag under my bent legs, wedged under the 'litter bin' sign, I finished one of my socks... and started the next one. It feels like quite an achievement.
:-)

1 comment:

Linda said...

Brilliant, that made me laugh ... knitting against all the odds!
Thank you for your comment on my blog :)
I like your wrap cardi, it is on my long "to do" list!