Monday 19 February 2007

Glove Making

As mentioned earlier, I've decided to have a bash at making gloves. The BF asked me before Christmas if gloves were going to be the next project. "No chance," I said. "Far too fiddly." Knitting is one of those hobbies where I think I will regularly find myself eating my words. I also said I was never going to make socks - they looked too complicated. Knitting with four needles? Who could be bothered with the stab wounds? Nope - I was never going to make socks. Ahem.

Below is the celebratory shopping package I mentioned in an earlier post, complete with a knitting kit. The "Opal Feelings - Jeans" is going to become gloves for my Auntie along with a pair of socks in "Opal Petticoat". The "Fortissima -Sombrero" will also become a pair of socks... for me.



The resolution about making socks for me has been very successful. I keep thinking I should try a pattern other than the freebie pattern that comes with "Opal" yarns. The simpler colourways - "Feelings", "Charcoal" and some of the "Rainforest" (notably "Flamingo") would work well in a lacy-patterned sock, but I think some of the other colourways are just too busy. However, for myself, I prefer plain old stocking stitch for socks - more comfortable on my trotters.

PS
I finished a sleeve of the wrapover at the weekend. One sleeve and the faffy bits (the ties and the edging) to go.
It's progressed quite slowly this week, what with socks to distract me. I didn't get as much done as I was planning to this weekend. There were a few reasons for this: a bit of gardening, a bit of tidying and going to the pictures to see Simon Pegg's new movie: "Hot Fuzz". It's wickedly funny. Stop reading. Go and see it. Take my car!
There was also the cotton backing to put on the penguin blanket that I finished knitting... about a month ago. Completer-finisher? Me? Only under duress. Thank god for "Blackadder".

3 comments:

Piglottie said...

Blackadder and new yarn - perfect!

Kai said...

i love the idea of making gloves, but like you, i'm thinking it might be too fiddly... maybe at some point in the future!

nice choice in yarn though..

Linda said...

Love the sock yarn. :-) I've used Fortissima before and it's lovely yarn to knit with. It softens even more after washing too.