Monday 5 May 2008

Cork and Blackcurrant Jam

I've been in Cork this week - another conference. Yep, I'm seeing the world through talking about icky diseases, which rocks.

The conference went really well and my presentation was applauded (which is always a huge relief). However, in the break before the session where I was presenting, the hotel served up fruit scones with blackcurrant jam and clotted cream. Wouldn't you think that I would have the sense to stay away from these? Yes. Don't you think that, bearing in mind I was wearing a pale turquoise top, I might suspect that eating blackcurrant jam was tempting fate? Yes.

So, what did I do?

I took a scone. I carefully spread blackcurrant jam over it. I gently placed a dollop of cream on the jam, on the scone. I took a bite. It was very tasty. I took another bite.

Result - thick streak of blackcurrant jam straight down my chest. AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

My friend Donald gallantly handed me his serviette, saying: "Sorry, but I'm not going to dive in there to help."

cardigan over the top.With one minute to go, I ran to the loo, turned my top around and wore my "DB Cathay"... and kept it on for the rest of the day, asking Donald to remind me NOT to take off the cardigan for the evening dinner.



The following day, we had a few hours to explore Cork before our flights. Sarah, Helen and I caught an open air bus ride round the town. It was a great laugh, though hair-raising in parts, especially sitting at the front of the bus, upstairs, going through tree branches and down tight, narrow winding, uphill country lanes. Who needs tickets to Alton Towers?



Afterwards, we trekked across the city in search of traditional Irish stew. We inspected many pubs, only checking the menu, honest, before we made it to Reidy's Wine Vault. It was fab - lovely traditional pub, good pints and a top Irish stew with wedges of soda bread. Mmmmm.

No comments: