Saturday 24 May 2008

Aran Chunky Goodness

It's been a knitting-fest of "RYC - Cashsoft Aran" lately (all bought in good sales), what with the "Bonnie" scarf (below) and the "Retropolitan" cardigan for my Granda.



This is half of the scarf sewn up the other night and, best of all, it only took two hours. I love the colours and I really like the randomness to the pattern. I suspect this is going to be an epic of Tom Baker as 'Doctor Who' proportions... it's already up to my belly-button and I'm 5' 7".

The other 16 squares are upstairs blocking, on the exercise mat I bought when I decided, in a fit of enthusiasm, that I needed to get toned up. However, it gets more use through my knitting.

However, I think I'll block it again, once it's all sewn up, to get some straight edges.

I've also started the "Bonnie" Bag now. The scarf pattern stated that two balls of each colour was required, but I knew that I always use far less than the requirements. So I intended to use the yarn for making the bag as well as the scarf. However, even with this in mind, there is still going to be enough wool for making at least another bag. Spare Christmas present, methinks.



The fuzziness above is my Granda's cardigan - it just needs the buttons sewn on. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the pattern was really easy to follow. Once I joined the sleeves to the body it seemed to knit up really quickly. Even the buttonhole trim was a doddle. It has been a real pleasure to work on and the finished cardigan is velvety soft and thick - it should keep him warm.

I've just realised there has been far too many references to 'sewing up' in this post.

2 comments:

Cinders said...

Hi fiona, I love your scarf and grandas cardi. Thanks for your message on my blog. I'm not feeling too bad today and we're off to leeds to see family so a day out!

Linda said...

I love the scarf, and the cardi has come out well.