Monday 5 May 2008

Retropolitan

I've knitted 22 of the 32 squares of the "Bonnie" scarf but I'm taking a break from it. Despite the BF's accusation that this is so I can avoid sewing up, it's not.

My Granda has emphysema. He's been fit and healthy for the last 18 months, but he's currently having a bad attack. My Mam and Auntie asked me to knit him a cardigan for his birthday (September). Every time they buy him something warm to wear, he thanks them and says he will "keep it for best". So the intention is that by knitting him something, he'll wear it because it's "only" home-made and because he'll appreciate his granddaughter making it.

So, I've decided to crack on with the cardi now and I found the perfect one in "Son of Stitch and Bitch" - "Retropolitan".



Apparently, it can be worn by "trendy urbanites, indie rockers and computer nerds alike". Really? Fashion-conscious people would wear this? It's a beautiful cardigan but to me, it's something that my 50-something uncles wore in the 70s (and they weren't your fashionable types), and it's very similar to something my Granda already wears. (Yes, he's a smart man but he goes for very traditional gear, so I do not see this cardigan as being that funky).

No disrespect to the designer. I suppose trends come and go.

The pattern is beautifully simple. It's knitted in one piece as far as the armholes (another 5 inches to go); then the sleeves are knitted and the whole lot joined together. The pattern recommends "RYC Cashsoft Aran" which, shock horror, I haven't substituted. Being knit on smaller needles (4mm and 4.5mm) than you'd usually knit Aran, the result is a dense material which should keep my Granda warm. I'm also going to stick with the large button recommendation as he struggles with smaller ones.



And, finally, thanks to Helen (Sheep Happens) who has taught me how to use my Christmas present - Sensational Knitted Socks - which I've been struggling to use because I needed instructions for the instructions. Thank you, Helen!

4 comments:

Kai said...

I saw that cardi while perusing the book a while ago and remember thinking that my grandad used to wear stuff like that. Your granda will love it. :)

Glad you've mastered the sock book!! :D

Hellbelle said...

I like that cardy pattern! Best wishes to your Grandpa :)

Happy to help with the waffly sock book explanations!

Linda said...

The sweater for your grandad looks great. Well done with the socks!

Cinders said...

Hope your grandpa gets better soon. I think He'll love his cardi. I recognise the thinking behind the handknitting though. why did our grandparents always keep new stuff for best?