Sunday 2 September 2007

Badges

Helen (Sheep Happens) has very kindly nominated me as a:


Thanks, Helen - who I would have nominated if not already beaten to it, as she writes one of my favourite blogs... So who will I nominate? Most people have already been nominated, so my nominations go to Jane at "Woolly Tales" and Rachel at "Beelzebub Knits". If you haven't already visited their blogs, go there now.

On the right of my blog, you'll see that I have awarded myself a 'Knitting Under the Influence' badge, as designed by "Cast On" (http://www.cast-on.com/?page_id=123) for the Illustrious Order of Knitting Scouts. I don't really need to explain why I have earned this one - it just goes without saying.

Other badges, that I feel I have earned are...



The “MacGyver” Badge (Level One) - The recipient must demonstrate clever use of a non-knitting tool in a knitting-related scenario... Paperclips as stitch markers on more occasions than I can remember.



The “MacGyver” Badge (Level Two)
- The recipient must demonstrate clever use of a knitting tool in a non-knitting-related scenario... For years, I've been using knitting needles to test whether my cakes have finished baking and that chickens have finished roasting.



The “Proselytize Knitting” Badge - A requirement for all Knitting Scouts, the recipient must do his or her bit to present knitting in a positive light, whilst at the same time avoiding all references to “hipness”, grandmothers, and yoga... It goes without saying.

The batteries on the camera have died and I can't find the recharger. So, I can't show you any lovely pix of the pixie coat just yet. It's for my brother and SIL's bump number two, who is allegedly a little girl. I'm knitting the coat in English moss stitch, rather than the US version that I should have been following from the pattern. (I must learn to read patterns properly, but I prefer the UK version of moss stitch, personally).

It's knitting up a lot quicker than the baby blue version I made for the BF's nephew last year - after about three days, I'm already knitting the sleeves. Second attempts at patterns show me how much my knitting has improved in the last year - faster and fewer mistakes (ahem!).

10 comments:

Janey said...

Ooooh! Thanks for the badge..my first one!

I shall definately be trying your tip of using knitting pins to see if a cake is cooked, much easier to lay my hands on than a skewer!

Piglottie said...

Congrats on the award - very well deserved. And I love the little badges :)

Fiona Reynolds said...

It's a really old knitting needle, from my Mam's stash...before she threw out ALL of her kit 15 years ago. It's about 2mm, and is ideal for the job - cakes don't sink when skewered with it.

Linda said...

Well done on your award! Aren't those badges great!

Hellbelle said...

I personally don't use my knitting needles for anything but knitting - my Dad used one of Mum's once for fixing the car and bent it all out of shape. A lesson learned! Woebetide anyone that touches my needles!

PS. Thanks for the kind words :)

blog-blethers said...

Well done on your well deserved and award! And love the self nominated badges - they're brill!

Cinders said...

Well done Fiona on your award. Like the scout award too! I cant figure out how to download buttons onto my blog!!! Must remember the tip for testing my cakes!

Beelzebub said...

OMG! I can't believe you nominated me as a Rockin' Girl Blogger! Am humbled! Have never been nominated for anything before. Thank you so much! RachelL

gilraen said...

I had nominated you too! :D Well done

Fiona Reynolds said...

Sorry, Gilraen - I hadn't noticed your nomination. Many thanks.