Friday 21 September 2007

Kiev

I won't be around for a week as I'm off to Kiev in Ukraine, tomorrow. (My colleague is currently investigating whether we can do online check in so that we don't have to get to the airport at stupid o'clock in the morning).

We will be delivering training on public health lobbying and campaigning, though there will be time for some sight-seeing.

Last time I was there, my friend Lesya took me on river cruise which was great fun, and I spotted this...



This is the representation of the Motherland, very similar to other Soviet-era metal monuments I saw when I went to Russia, years ago. She's a "Good, strong Ukrainian woman" according to Lesya and stand in a memorial park on a hill, overlooking the river. As we were sailing down the river, I spotted her, all lit up in the darkness... so the following night Lesya took me to see her. This picture does not give you any indication of just how big she is. If you have ever seen the "Angel of the North"... think bigger.

We went to the park in the dark which, as you may have guessed from the sculptures in the foreground, is a memorial to the Second World War. Lesya and I approached the statue from the right of the picture. The park there is full of tanks, missiles (decommissioned, I hope) and warplanes. Walking past the silhouettes, at night, is one of the most surreal experiences I have ever had.

...

The following morning, Andre (who was my interpretor) told me that she's affectionately referred to, by the locals, as 'Tin Tits'.

...

Back in the city centre, there is this smaller monument to independence.



The centre is a mixture of white stone, curving steel and glass, which all compliments the 18th and 19th Century building and elegant streets. Kiev is a beautiful city.



So, more witterings when I get back. I've made a pair of gloves and socks for Lesya, so I hope she likes them. My colleague is planning to take me to a bar in the city where the bar stools are made of horses' bums. (Vegetarianism isn't big in Ukraine). I promise I will post photos if we go there.

6 comments:

Linda said...

I hope the trip goes OK, it looks like such an interesting place.

Piglottie said...

Have a wonderful time. It really does look beautiful. Am intrigued by the horses bums lol.

Hawkesley said...

I hope you have a lovely trip and have plenty of spare time for sight seeing. :-)

Hellbelle said...

Looks like a fascinating place. Have a good trip!

Cinders said...

You wont read this till you get back, so hope the trip went well. Looks like a fascinating place. Must see photos of the horses bums if you have any!!!

Beelzebub said...

Hope you're having a great time, it's so good to get out and see the world, isn't it. Do you think they have yarn stores?