Monday 17 September 2007

A Very Simple Christmas Stocking - Free Pattern

I know, I know it's only September. However, if you want to make a Christmas Stocking for someone, I thought you'd rather have this pattern now as December 24th. This took me about two weeks to make.

If you would like a copy of this pattern, (complete with charts and pictures) please email me, or leave a comment with your contact details. Despite many efforts, I've been unable to attach the complete pattern to my blog. There is no charge for the pattern.



The finished article - garish in'it?
......................................................................................................................................................................... This is a simple pattern, really it is. If you can follow a simple sock pattern, you will have no difficulty in following this and adapting it yourself – well, not everyone will want to knit stockings for a small boy called Thomas.


I have included (in the actual pattern - not here) a shrunken copy of the chart I used to plan the stocking as an example, but I would not recommend anyone try to follow this size pattern – I don’t want anyone to go blind.


Materials Required


Windows Excel” or equivalent programme OR;


Squared paper and pencils/pen


4x 4mm Double Pointed Needles


2x 100g DK yarn – red


1x 100g DK yarn – white


1x 100g DK yarn – green


2x stitch markers


Several cups of tea



Directions


Plan your chart, designing it over 120 stitches.



Rib


Loosely cast on 120 stitches in red yarn, dividing them evenly over three DPNs, making sure they are not twisted. Knit in rib for 32 rows, working: k6, p3 to the last three stitches – p3.



The ‘Name Plate’


Change to the white yarn and, in stocking stitch, knit five rows.


Start your name plate. Knitting with red yarn for the lettering and white for the background, use the Fairisle technique to create the name of the stocking’s recipient.



Once the name is complete, tie off the red yarn and knit four more rows in white. Start the tree line – knitting the trees in green, against the white background, using the Fairisle technique.


After you have finished your trees, tie off the green yarn, and knit five rows in white.



The Leg


Start the red and green diagonal stripes, again in Fairisle.


Knit until the stocking is 45cm long. If you make it longer, you will need more yarn and if you are the person responsible for filling up the Christmas Stocking…



The Heel Flap


Stop knitting with both colours. Knit in red yarn.


Knit 30 stitches, turn:


Row 1: Slip the first stitch, p59, turn;


Row 2: Slip the first stitch, k59, turn.

Repeat these two rows another 28 times.


Shaping the Heel


Continue in red yarn.


Row 1: Slip the first stitch, p21, p2tog, p1, turn


Row 2: Slip the first stitch, k7, k2tog, k1 turn


Row 3: Slip the first stitch, p8, p2tog, p1, turn


Row 4: Slip the first stitch, k9, k2tog, k1, turn.


Continue until you have 24 stitches on one needle.


Gusset


Pick up 30 stitches, knitwise down the side of the heel flap. Put a stitch marker here. Knit 60 stitches from the cuff of the sock. Place a marker here. Pick up 30 stitches down the other side.


There should now be 144 stitches.


Rejoin the green yarn for the diagonal stripes, and match to the previous stripes as best you can, while you shape the gusset.



Round 1: Knit to within three stitches on the first marker, k2tog, k1, knit to the next marker, k1, k2tog, knit to end.


Round 2: Knit.


Repeat these two rounds until there are once more 120 stitches on your needles.


The Foot.


Knit 80 rounds, continuing in the Fairisle red and green diagonal stripes.


Toe Shaping


Tie off the green yarn for shaping the toes. Knit in red yarn.


Round 1: Knit to three stitches before first marker – k2tog, k1, slip marker, k1 k2tog; knit to three stitches before first marker – k2tog, k1, slip marker, k1 k2tog.


Round 2: Knit.


Continue until there are 40 stitches on the needles.


I’ve heard of grafting but I’m lazy. Cut the yarn, making sure you have a long enough length of yarn to thread through the stitch loops and pull tight. Sew it tightly.

8 comments:

Linda said...

Will you have piccies of the finished one? It sounds great, a good idea to start the christmas stuff early!

Fiona Reynolds said...

Updated to add a piccie. Thanks for the hint, Queen!

The pattern also contains charts for all of the letters of the alphabet, so you don't HAVE to make one for someone called Thomas. I mean you can, if you want, you just don't have to.

My next one is planned for Lois... as soon as I find my lovely 4mm, long DPNs.

Anonymous said...

I would like a copy of this christmas stocking pattern the one that says thomas on it. My e-mail is lafave_joann@sbcglobal.net. I would really appreciate it soon as it is for my grandson.
thanks

Anonymous said...

A Very Simple Christmas Stocking - Free Pattern

I would like a copy of this pattern, I'm just starting out with fair isle knitting and would like to try your pattern

mborck@charter.net
thank you
margi

Pat said...

I would love a copy of this pattern. Thanks!
Pat

Pat said...

I'd like a copy of this pattern--my son is named Thomas!

Thanks

Jan Lloyd said...

Please could you e-mail me the pattern for the knitted christmas stocking. My e-mail address is janlloyd@tiscali.co.uk. Not sure if I have to insert my own name or whether you adapt yours. If so, the name for the stocking is Phoebe. Many thanks

Jan Lloyd said...

I have deleted a load of e-mails in error and I'm now wondering if one of them may have been the knitting patter (with charts) of the Christmas stocking. If you have already sent it, could I trouble you to send it again please to janlloyd@tiscali.co.uk