Monday 27 August 2007

More on Gloves

While I have been popping in and out of forums, I've noticed a few people asking about whether it is easy to make gloves. So, I thought I would show the step-by-step photos of glove making, without infringing on anyone's copyright. If you can make socks, and haven't yet had a go at making gloves, you'll be surprised by how easy it is.

They knit up faster than socks - hands generally being smaller than feet - and all they are is a series of tubes.

So, first of all we cast on the stitches, at the wrist end to start knitting the tube...



...See, there's your tube...



Then we start shaping the thumb gusset, which starts half way around your round, with your stitch markers to show where you 'build' this.



Here's the finished thumb gusset - with some bright orange yarn being used as a flexible stitch holder. It's much more practical than the giant nappy pins.



If it's getting the fingers in the right place that perturbs you... it's all about counting. As long as you keep the tail of the yarn loose from your cast on edge to mark the end of the round, you'll have no problem. You start with the little finger, at the opposite end from the thumb gusset, at the start/end of the round. (While you're making up the fingers, the rest of the stitches are sitting on yarn holders, out of the way).



...And you fill in from there... building up the fingers towards the thumb...



...giving you the opportunity for an 'Edward Knitting Hands(!)' shot.



And so on, until the finished product.



In true 'Blue Peter' fashion: "Here's one I made earlier". (Please note, there were no dodgy phone-in competitions used in producing this post).

That's it. Easy isn't it? While they're a bit fiddly, as you rejoin yarn to make new fingers, I honestly think these are easier than socks. They're also a good way of using up left over sock yarn, if you have small feet. I'm a size five (UK sizing) and can get a pair of socks and gloves out of one ball - possible Christmas and birthday presents?

7 comments:

gilraen said...

Thank you that looks great!!!! :)

Kai said...

Excellent!

I'll definitely try it with your tutorial...

Hellbelle said...

Gloves am great! I love the fact that you can make the fingers as long as you like, as I always find shop bought ones are too short for my spindly fingers.

Piglottie said...

Thank you so much for this! I always found gloves quite daunting, but your tutorial has de-mystified the whole thing.

Soo said...

Fantastic. I love the random way the self patterning yarn knits up in gloves -- I'll definitely have to make some for Christmas gifts.

blog-blethers said...

Thank you so much for posting this guidance, Fiona! I became a sock convert about 18 months ago and can now feel gloves reeling me in:) You've helped me make sense of the process - a huge TA:)!

Jominx said...

Wow your tutorial is fab and it has definately tempted me to make a pair, Thanks ;)