Friday 17 August 2007

Vintage Stitches

Two of the ladies who come to the Mad Knitters' Tea Party (knitting group) arrived with two bin bags full of yarn last night. A friend of the family has been emptying her attic and decided that we could have a free for all in the stash... I was very good. I only took a ball of orange DK for making jellybabies.

However, I also found a stack of fantastically cheesy patterns... (warning: this is picture heavy, and some of these are just not for the faint hearted).

First up: Jumpers for all the family... they look like they're about to go riding and Dad looks like the Action Man doll.



Then, we have the office disco! "Don't blame it on the sunshine, don't blame it on the moonlight!"



But, this is the mother-lode of the haul... the "Patons Aran Book", for when the family want to go UFO watching.



...Triffid dodging...



Then there's the look for the smart woman out and about in the quiet little town of Stepford,
though I quite like this one.



Here we have another Stepford Wife.



And finally, hoodies for all the family - though no hugging, I see. (In different colours, I think this would make quite a funky top for myself...



...though Mum's expression is straight off "The Wicker Man".



Perhaps I've been reading too much Stephen King lately.

11 comments:

Seahorse said...

Brilliant! I just love old patterns, although I agree it's somewhat disturbing when you're actually thinking something modelled by an extra from Invasion of the Body Snatchers might suit you ;)

I'm too dim to find a way to email you but I would love the beetroot soup recipe if you have a mo to contact me at hippocampusstitcher AT hotmail DOT com Thanks!

Linda said...

I quite like the second stepford wife coat .... :0

WildPurl said...

Oh those are such fun, what a great evening that must ahve been. I am very envious. And I like all your socks - wish I had knitted some socks this year...

Piglottie said...

So funny! But the office disco one is a bit freaky (well, more freaky than the others lol) - her pose is so odd!

FairyNuff said...

lolololol... some of those models look well scary!

more cheese than a fondue party.... LOVE IT!!

Hellbelle said...

I quite fancy action man dad.

Soo said...

Brilliant! (And I agree with Queen - I quite like the second coat as well.)

If you haven't already seen them there are some similar style photos at http://www.stitchymcyarnpants.com/moks06/

A friend of mine (who isn't a knitter) found these and I take a look whenever I need a chuckle!

Janice said...

I think I may have used one of the aran patterns many years ago lololol...your remarks are so funny :-)

gilraen said...

Oh you made me laugh!!! The sad bit is I remember a lot of those patterns or similar ones :)

Badger said...

They remind me of my childhood. I've broken out in cold sweats now :(

Fiona Reynolds said...

I'm just relieved I didn't find any knitted bathing suits. (Was threatened with them, but never inflicted with them).