Monday 6 August 2007

B@m£**zled!!!!

So, for those who were wondering how "Bamboozle" yarn knits up... here we have a shot. It knits up very snuggly - there seems to be more elastic content that in sock yarns like "Opal", "Regia" or "Trekking" et al.

The sock is incredibly soft and my friend will be really pleased with it. I don't think they'll make hot weather socks as it feels heavy and quite stiff, at present - though I suspect blocking and further washings will make them softer with wear. My current thoughts are that they will make good Winter house socks.



However, I am really not happy at all.

As you can see from the picture, this is a small sock. It fits someone with a size 5 foot, i.e. me, and my pal has smaller feet than me which is a Good Thing. (I'm dreading making socks for the BF's size 9s). You can also see that I haven't followed the bog-standard "Opal" pattern, I knocked off rows and, here's a nice point, before I get to the Bad News... "Bamboozle" knits up fairly chunky so you don't need to do the usual 30 row flap, if you were following the "Opal" Old Faithful.

So, the Bad News... it took more than one ball of wool to make that one tiny sock!!!!

At £5.25 a ball, with the manufacturer's advice being 'two balls make a pair', this came as quite a shock. £15 for one pair of socks is a bit out my preferred price range. I rang the Woolly Workshop this morning to order an extra ball of the two colours for my pal's and MIL's socks, and Gill was really surprised. She has promised to speak to her supplier today and let me know what they say.

I don't knit too tightly and I am really disappointed with this yarn so far. If you're allergic to wool and want to make socks for yourself, this is going to come in really rather pricey.

Now to some nice knitting news... my order of "Lorna's Laces" in "Flame" and "Mixed Berries" arrived this morning. For Harry Potter fans I urge you, nay I insist, you dash off to the "Socktopia" website where you can download the gorgeous patterns of "Fawkes" and "Nagini"...



...I'm finally going to attempt a sock pattern that isn't "Opal".

Don't faint.

PS It was the nephew's first birthday yesterday and we had a family picnic in Trent Park (North London). The weather was gorgeous and we set up camp under a tree. While SIL and BIL were over the moon with the yellow tank-top I knitted for their son (from "Soft Treasures for Little Ones"), the boy himself was delighted with the wrapping paper and shiny ribbon.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you weighed the sock to check how much yarn you used? You sometimes get a faulty ball that isn't the full weight it should be.

Fiona Reynolds said...

Oh, ta for that - hadn't thought too - just spent a weekend cursing it. Off to find the scales now.

Fiona Reynolds said...

Methinks there must have been some skimping. The finished sock weighs 53g and the other ball, after being used up to finish the first sock, is 42g.

The other two balls are the full 50g but I'd rather have the extra for a decent sized sock.

Thanks, Super Monkey.

Kai said...

cute sock, but that is some seriously under-weighed yarn.. :S

Love the LL.. off to check out those patterns! :)

Linda said...

What a pain, I like the Lornas laces!

blog-blethers said...

How frustrating! I have made 1/2 a pair (will eventually resolve the SSK) in Cascade yarn and found that it made a minute looking sock too ... though it does stretch comfortably to fit my size 6. Hopefully, you get the yarn issue sorted out though...

Rain said...

How annoying about the sock. It looks very pretty though.

The Lorna's is simply stunning.

Piglottie said...

Great sock, but pants about how much you need (thanks for the advance notice). The LL is gorgeous though. Thanks for the link to the patterns :)

Lindsey said...

That's terrible to hear....but thanks for sharing with us all so we can be forewarned. If it's any consolation, the sock looks great!

I love the colours of the LL, especially the Mixed Berries. Didn't see that colourway last time I was shopping, will have to keep an eye out! :-)

Cinders said...

How dissapointing for you. I've got Regia bamboo sock yarn so waiting to see how that knits up. Love the Lornas laces colours.

gilraen said...

Lovely sock, bummer yardage. I do love the colours CP does their yarns in though, I hope you get some satisfaction!

Cheers for the link. :D

Have you signed up for Ravelry yet ? :D

belaybunny said...

Lovely LL there. good luck with the non-opal sock pattern!!

Anonymous said...

Hi -- great socks, and too bad to hear you got a short skein. I was just thinking, though, is there any chance there was some confusion about which CP bamboo yarn to use for socks? I use the Panda cotton (also a bamboo/cotton/elastic mix) and it is sock weight and two balls definitely make a pair (I think they're like 150 m per ball). I like the Panda cotton product better too. Bamboozle is great, but only has about 90 m per ball, and I find that I go through it really fast.

Fiona Reynolds said...

Oooh, thanks for that, Anonymous. Don't how to email you. :-) I heard about the Bamboozle as a sock yarn but I do think it's rather heavy. I'll look into the Panda. Thanks for that.