Monday 13 August 2007

Sockadopolis!

I've spent the last couple of weeks, satisfying my current sock fetish, and here are a few piccies. Here are my "Opal Rainforest - Peacocks" (with a proper modelled pose and everyfin').



These are my gorgeous new "Opal - Hundertwassers". They were originally intended for a really good friend... but then I thought: "Nah! They'd be wasted on her." I promise I will get around to making her some socks, actually probably gloves, in the next week or so. They will be part of my stash busting plan.



So, to some more stash busting activities. This is the start of a pair of gloves for another friend. The yarn is "Lana Grossa - Meilenweit Inca". (Sadly, my German is very dodgy - didn't really get beyond 'Mein Onkel est ein Kugelschreiber' at school. 'My uncle is a pen'). I'm planning to make gloves and socks from this ball.



They're for my friend Lesya in Kiev.

I went to Ukraine last September to deliver some training on public health campaigns. Lesya was my contact and the person who showed me around Kiev which is a beautiful city - a really amazing mix of 19th Century of what I call 'Baroque' and 21st Century post-independence glass and steel. We have kept in touch since and Lesy often asks me what I am currently knitting, as she saw last year's 'stealth knitting' jumper for the BF.

I'm off to Kiev again in September, I hope - a colleague and I are planning to do some more teaching - and I think Lesya will be really pleased with some handmade gloves and socks.



Speaking of stealth knitting... here is my new "Boye" set, bought for a very reasonable price from a lady who chats on the 'Angel Yarns Knitting Forum. It has extendable circular needles, which I need to knit the BF's "Saranac" in the round.

The BF is very impressed with these. He like all the "gadgets and gizmos that you can get for knitting". I mentioned that I was thinking of getting a swift for unwinding all those skeins.

"Oh. I'm out of a job then, am I?" he asked sadly. "That's it just cast me aside when I'm no longer of any use to you. After all I did to get you where you are today."

He's such a drama queen... and then he mentioned that I might get one for Christmas. Happy Days!

6 comments:

Piglottie said...

Love the socks, especially the Hundertwassers. The Boyes are a bit swish too. Kiev sounds wonderful!

Linda said...

Great socks! I like your Boyes.

Hellbelle said...

Cool socks and those Boyes look great.

Kiev sounds like an interesting place to visit.

Kai said...

Cool socksies!

Have fun in Kiev. :) I would love to visit it at some point.

Aww.. such a cute BF :) Sounds like a keeper to me!

blog-blethers said...

What great socks and it's great to see Peacock knitted up (Please tell me NOT to buy any more sock stash!!). Your Boyes look brill too - love the colours! And if your poor OH is feeling redundant maybe I could hire him for a winding session?? DD2 runs and hides when she sees me approaching with a skein. Seriously, lovely to hear a partner sounding so supportive of our obsession!

Cinders said...

Love the socks Fiona!
Kiev sounds lovely. I'd love to visit there-lots of 'loves' in this post , must find another word!!!LOL.

The Boyes needles look interesting.