Tuesday 9 September 2008

Socking 'Eck

I'm doing battle with "Opal - Rainforest" yarn.

Helen very kindly taught me how to use "More Sensational Knitted Socks" and I've finally got around to using it to knit myself some texture-patterned socks.

I was very excited. This yarn has been in the drawer for a year and I have been really looking forward to using it. So, I found a pattern - a six stitch design...cross hatch. It looks great and will suit the yarn perfectly. I cast on. I ribbed fourteen rows and then the needles caught on my jumper (damn "Twilleys Freedom Spirit"), yanking out all of the stitches.

I ended up frogging the lot, and cast on again.

The same thing happened (with a different jumper).

I cast on again, and made it to the second pattern repeat... when the same thing happened, again.

Poo, bum, willy, fart!



So, I have given up - the yarn obviously doesn't like this pattern. So, I'm knitting vanilla...

...in that yarn.

Below is an "Admiral R Druck" knitted in basketweave.


How chuffed am I? The pattern matches the yarn, reminding me of brickwork and because the pattern is so springy, I was able to knit 18 fewer rows than normal for the foot. Don't be misled by the stumpy appearance.

4 comments:

Janey said...

The basketweave sock is fabulous, and a great choice of yarn.

As for the Rainforest, why not try a tiny circular? I knit all my sock son a 12" Addi Turbo and I love it. Certainly far less points to worry about catching in all your jumpers!

Hellbelle said...

They look great - love the stripes! And glad to help with the book :)

Linda said...

I love the finished sock and sorry about the other frustratingness!

Cinders said...

Like your basket weave sock.
annoying about the other sock though.