Friday 12 October 2007

Ally Pally Yarn P*on

What did I buy?



Lots...be prepared for a picture heavy post.

So, in some detail:



"Knit Witches - Cashmere Laceweight"... yes, at some point I am going to dip my toe into the water that is lace and make this lovely 'Lacy Rib Ladders' scarf.

"Sirdar - Snuggly Baby Bamboo DK"



This will be a hat with earflaps for Thomas. My nephew doesn't like to keep hats on and his Mum his worried about him getting cold in Winter... if that ever arrives. (Climate change is going to be the bane of knitters in my humble opinion - I want to knit and wear lovely toasty woolies).



Speaking of which, I also bought some "Sirdar - Peru Naturals" to make this wrap-over for myself. The yarn is lovely and soft - a bit like "Twilleys Freedom Spirit".



Also, on the soft front... "Sublime - Cashmere Merino Silk DK" for this 'Hearts and Cables' table top. (I hit a bit of a tank top craze yesterday - under the influence of Ruth (The Girl That Knits) from the Knitting Forum, who I met up with.

I'm one of those people who doesn't have an original thought and magpies the great ideas that other people have. I always give them credit though!



There was also a lovely stall - "Touch Yarns" from New Zealand where I bought some beautiful yarn in Autumn shades to make this jacket. There were many, many lovely things there.

And here is the "Twilleys Freedom Spirit" that I just can't resist for making...another tank. Realistically, none of this is going to be knitted up until I have finished my Christmas knitting.



And, because I desperately need more sock yarn, I picked up some "Opal Rainforest - Tiger", and these lovelies from a stall selling THREE balls for £12.50!!!!



I could quite happily have bought more sock yarn so I think I was quite restrained.

Oooh, icky fact for the day - there was a Danish stall selling some beautifully soft yarn - £40 a pop for 50g of this laceweight, that's made from the hair of Artic Musk Ox - animals that roam Greenland. Beautiful stuff, but the ox are wild and to get the hair, they have to be killed. I don't know how many of these animals there are so I can't comment on whether this is endangering them - I imagine it's not. However, still not my cuppa.

ETA: See Viking's comment below for a more humane alternative in harvesting this hair.

If you are going to Ally Pally, have a great time. There's lots to see - though not all of it knitting. :-)

16 comments:

Soo said...

Ooooh - I LOVE that cabled tank top. Gorgeous texture... Perfect winter knitting. Can't wait to see it knitted up.

Linda said...

Fantastic haul there! I am jealous! the wrap cardi is nice and the Knitwiches yarn will be greatin that pattern.

Piglottie said...

Looks like you have a great day! And lovely stash, especially like the Touch Yarn.

PS: I'm with you on the Musk Ox yarn - that is dreadful! How could anyone buy it with a clear conscience?

Viknits said...

Hey!
Your stash looks great!
The musk ox yarn - I'm surprised they kill them because there are a number of farms that breed the animals, and they comb the yarn from their underbellies. It's so expensive because it's so rare, and you need lots of ox to make much yarn!! They don't kill them though - this is all from the Arctic Lace book by Donna Druchunas, who I met at Woolfest. So you can buy quiviut with a clear conscience, but maybe do some source research first! I'd hate to buy yarn from animals that'd been killed :(
Sorry that was really long winded.. great stash anyway! Can't wait to go myself!

gilraen said...

That is one awesome tank pattern!!!!

Lovely haul you got Fiona there :D

I would never buy yarn that caused anyone harm ever!!!! That is so wrong!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I fondled the qiviut but was too poor to buy. I have Artic Lace too, and thought they harvested the fur without harming the animals from what I read there. I didn't ask the stall holders how they got theirs, but I have the web address, so if I'm ever rich enough to need to know I'll send them an email.

I haven't worked out how much I spent today, and I don't think I'm going to. I'll probably post my booty on my blog tomorrow in case anyone is in trouble with their other half and needs to show them how it could have been much worse.

Penny said...

Oh, that's a lovely load of stuff you've got there.

Beelzebub said...

Lovely haul! Glad you had a good time at Ally Pally. I'm just about to post details of my own new AP booty!

Viknits said...

You didn't say it's your birthday today!! Happy birthday Fiona, hope you have a fantastic, squishy day!!! :D

Hellbelle said...

Great haul! You were very organised with your shopping too :)

belaybunny said...

Nice stash there, sounds like you had a fun day out!!

Viknits said...

How much cash would you recommend saving up for the knitting and stitching show (I'm going for my bday with mum)??
It's you that challenged me to do all those christmas knits isn't it?? Not sure I'll get through them all! ;)

Cinders said...

Great haul there fIONA! i'M QUITE JEALOUS. i HOPE THEY HAVE ALL THAT STUFF AT hARROGATE. I'm surprised at that arctic wotsit yarn (forgot the name!!!) it sounds positively cruel.

Fiona Reynolds said...

Yes it was me Vixx!

Mad about Craft said...

I know I am 4 posts behind but I had to comment on the Sirdar peru naturals. I have just finished this in the same colourway and I love it. i finished Thursday 18th Oct and have worn it twice, I had to stop myself from wearing again yesterday (22nd)

Kai said...

Great haul there! I saw the Ox stall and felt the qiviut. Shame if they are killing to get the yarn.. :(