Sunday 11 January 2009

Red Dress

I decided to do some sewing this weekend so I am in the middle of a dress. (I signed up to a dress making class which I'm just not enjoying as much as the soft furnishing class I went to. It's just not grabbing me the same way and I think I prefer my learning to be more structured than "just tell me what you need to know". I don't know what I need to know!)

So, we have a nice simple pattern... which I'll show when I've finished so we can see the side-by-side of what it's supposed to look like compared with what it actually does look like. I bought the linen from Abakhans for the bargain price of £7.83. It's a very forgiving fabric which is fortunate as Darth Sewing Machine and I have been having a few differences of opinion. The iron, meanwhile, has been great which is just as well as I hate ironing and dressmaking makes ironing an essential component of construction. (What was I thinking?)



Above, the pieces all cut out, waiting for the instruction details to be sewn on (for wear to sew the darts, etc).



Above - the bodice assembled: lining and outer pieces.

Below - the front of the skirt, draped over the ironing board.



Below: Skirt front pinned to the bodice for storage, overnight.



Yes, I've taken over the living room.

No comments: