Tuesday 13 January 2009

Red Dress (Part 2)

I resumed my attempts to clobber together a frock on Sunday. It's still not quite finished, with a few seams requiring further sewing, a shoulder seam nowhere near as tight as it should be - there's a fold over the actual sewn seam - and a zip to be inserted.

The sewing started off simply. Having prepared the skirts pieces, i.e. cut them out, all I needed to do was sew in the pleats and then sew them together. Straightforward? Well, yes, it should have been. If the two back pieces are supposed to go together like this... "> <", why did I end up nearly sewing them like this , "< <"? Because I sewed a pleat on the wrong side of one of the pieces. So my neat sewing had to be pulled out of this...



...leaving the fabric looking like this...



...but, thankfully, I have a new best friend in the iron, so it ended up looking like this.



...And here's the nearly finished dress... looking remarkably like a red bin bag.



I think it will look better once I get the zip in - the big gaping opening at the back does not add to the overall impression.

No comments: