Wednesday 14 January 2009

Avast!

The BF casually announced the other day that I could either make him another jumper like the one I've just given him for Christmas, or I could make him a cardigan. "Maybe one with a zip?", I suggested, thinking "he's already got slippers and he's only 34".

"That sounds good," he said... so I started hunting around and have decided to make 'Avast' (www.knitty.com). It's plain enough for even the BF's taste with a little cable detail that won't offend him too much.



Next, the yarn... I decided to try out New Lanark yarns, and I ordered a stash of "Donegal Silk Tweed (DK)" in Cobalt. It's 90% wool and 10% silk and at £1.95 a ball, I thought: "Bargain".



It arrived today. It's darker than appeared on screen, but that's one of those things. It's also a lot rougher than I expected. I'm hoping it will knit up softer than the individual strands feel because, together when squishing, they do feel very soft. Also, blocking might help and the BF will be wearing it over T-shirts. In addition, I wasn't sure about the last jumper and he loved that. Can you smell the reassurance I'm giving myself?

2 comments:

Linda said...

Its going to be great, hopefully the yarn will soften on washing. Eucalin with comfort pure fabric conditioner works!

pixyphd said...

Oooh lovely! I'm thinking of ordering some of their yarn so I will watch your progress with interest! I want to make an Ariann for spring so wonder what it will be like next to the skin...