Friday 30 November 2007

World AIDS Day



December 1st is World AIDS Day. A few days ago, a survey reported that:

"One in seven young people in Britain would not stay friends with someone who had HIV...Almost half of the 300 people aged 14 to 25 surveyed said they would want to keep it a secret if a relative had HIV."
To me, this is one of the saddest steps back in the twenty-six years since AIDS was discovered, twenty-four since HIV was identified as the cause. While you can live for many years before developing symptoms, leading a normal life, the support of family and friends is invaluable - and that's before the illnesses associated with the syndrome develop.

It distresses me to see this stigma preventing people living with HIV or AIDS from being able to confide in others.

This year's message is about talking about the disease - to tackle prejudice and stigma - and this theme particularly resonates with me.

Seven years ago, my friend Paul died of AIDS. He had been my boss - and a very good one too, as we remained friends after I left. Only family and a few of his closest friends knew about his diagnosis - the rest of us only found out when he died. I think Paul didn't tell people because, primarily, he didn't want to be pitied - but who wants to be dealing with other folks' ignorance every day?

He was an amazing guy - one of the most energetic and vital people I knew. There was always a new scheme or project to be excited about; and he loved people and animals. A bank loan was taken out to allegedly buy a valuable painting of a racehorse... there was a racehorse alright - but it was old and needed rescuing from an early trip to a glue factory. Paul was passionate about doing the right thing.

I'm not sure if he ever realised how well thought of he was. I hope so. It was standing room only in the church. The funeral cortege was so long that the last section of the procession got lost between the church and the crematorium, when traffic lights changed. We were in the car at the front of this motley crew and thought that perhaps there were only a couple of cars and bikes behind us. When we turned down a side street to ask for directions, ten or twelve cars came along. Paul would have enjoyed that.

So, for this World AIDS Day I am going to do my own fundraising. For every person who posts a comment on my blog, at any time this month, I will pay 10p to the Terrence Higgins Trust who offer a wide range of support services to people living with HIV/AIDS and their families:
  • emotional support and information by phone
  • help with accessing HIV testing and post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) treatment
  • advice about your rights in benefits, employment, immigration and housing
  • treatment advice
  • contact with support groups
  • help with accessing grants, respite and complementary therapies
  • education for the community about HIV and sexually transmitted infections
  • legal advice for those living with HIV
  • written information and leaflets
  • counselling
Thanks for reading.

28 comments:

Hellbelle said...

Amazing post. Good luck :)

Kai said...

Great cause. You have my support honey *hugs*

Kirsty said...

Wishing you every success with your fundraising. My husband and I have a friend who was diagnosed HIV a couple of years ago, he's currently medicated but has changed so much :( we miss him terribly and do try to keep in touch as much as he will allow. Kirsty xxx

Janice said...

I too would like to offer my support {{HUGS}} and good luck :D

ContinentalCat said...

Good luck with the fund raising, it's a great cause. It's so sad to read those kind of statistics, and perhaps even sadder that after all those years there's still so much ignorance and prejudice when it comes to this disease.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the fundraising. Very good cause.

Anonymous said...

Well done, As I'm only no 7 on your blog I hope you raise more thann 70p!

gilraen said...

I nursed many many wonderful people in end stage AIDS, thank you Fiona, I too thought it was more out in the open. :(

murdo said...

Really sad to hear those statitics...this is an excellent cause and thanks for the reminder of World Aids day

Linz Knits Now said...

You have my support too in this worthy cause.

Anonymous said...

I'm offering my support in memory of your friend Paul, who sounds like a wonderful, warm-hearted guy.

Janey said...

What a wonderful post. Those statistics are very sad in this age. You can count on my support too.

blueadt said...

You've got my support as well.

Pixie said...

Showing my support.. well done you for your amazing post

Anonymous said...

Awful to hear how backwards some people can still be after all these years.

Good luck with the fundraising!

Anonymous said...

Great cause. I've have lost a couple of friends very young (though not as a result of AIDS) and it is horrible. My Christmas charity donation will be to the Terence Higgins Trust.

Linda said...

I will be commenting here all month, that is a great cause. Thank you for making me more aware.

Anonymous said...

I would never leave a friend just because they had HIV. Good luck in your fundraising.

Auntie Noo said...

Recently lost a forum friend to this - less than a month before his 40th birthday :( Thank you for doing this

Viknits said...

Fantastic cause, here's my support. It's terrible that there are still such prejudices.

Soo said...

That's a great cause and very generous of you.

Cinders said...

Adding my support. he sounded like a lovely person. I'm used to ignorance and predjudice with the Firomylgia, but its not a 'stigma' like Aids.
good luck

Mouse said...

Well done Fiona, good luck with the fundraising :)

Fiona Reynolds said...

Wow! Thank you all for your comments. I will continue to count responses throughout December and add them up.

Jominx said...

Fantastic charity, good luck :D

belaybunny said...

Good luck with the fundraising.

Anonymous said...

I wanna to decide some of questions in this area. Could u help me to do it?

Anonymous said...

Good article. Thank you.
http://www.erispan.350.com/