Friday 2 November 2007

Progress Report

It has been a couple of weeks since I updated you on progress with "Saranac" (BF's stealthily knit jumper). Everything is now knit up to armpit level - i.e. I'm ready to connect it altogether in the round and knit the yoke.

Mathematically, this could be interesting. Keeping it hidden, this could get sticky.



Meanwhile, over on the Dark Side... my battle with the evil forces of sewing machines showed early success on my first attempt at sewing a hem. (It was a revelation to discover that the foot - yes, I was astounded to discover that sewing machines have feet, too) has a ridge which holds the stitching straight. I thought you just had to have a steady hand.



As you can see... above is a nice neat hem, but I made a mistake and had to pull out the second half of the stitching. So, I went back to do it again, and, erm, well...

...those evil forces rallied.



I put the piece in the wrong way around, and it all went belly up.

This weekend, I intend to get my own sewing machine sussed and attempt another sample curtain using the machine, rather than hand sewing. This may take some time.

3 comments:

Piglottie said...

Good luck with the sewing - on both fronts :) Once you've had a bit more practise it will be like second nature to you.

The Caked Crusader said...

If it's any consolation I've never mastered my sewing machine. I've given up on it now

Anonymous said...

Good luck! Sewing machines are wonderful things when you're the master and they're the servant, but be careful the roles don't reverse--then you're in trouble.