Sunday 18 November 2007

Knitting with Relish

I've been at the MIL and FIL's house this weekend, for a birthday party. So, I decided I couldn't take the "Matros" jumper to be working on as I don't want Thomas's mum to see the work in progress - especially when I'm swearing about it. So, I took some "DB Rialto" (in a really, really girly shade of pink) to make "Relish" from "Rowan Babies". This is for my niece, Lois.



It's shaping up to be a fantastically quick knit. I started knitting in the car yesterday, and I've finished the back and started one of the fronts. (Apols for the over-exposed pic).



Making the fringe is the fiddliest bit but is very, very easy. The BF's family were very impressed. It's amazing how knitting seems to 'dazzle' non-knitters. My SIL was wearing the socks I knit for her birthday and my MIL was comparing her boring shop-bought socks (her words, not mine) with our funky "Opals". She's allergic to wool and has pretty much written off the idea of ever having any hand-knitted socks.

So, she'll be over the moon with the "Bamboozle" socks I've done for her. :-)

"Matros" hasn't been completely abandoned - I finished the body on Friday, (though I am rather enjoying my break from it). The neck trim will have to wait until Saturday - I need natural light to be able to see the stitches.



I have also started a sleeve. If all goes well, I could finish this by next weekend.



As for the boy himself... here's the BF's nephew modelling a hand knitted sweater sent to him by friend's of the family in Norway. (My FIL had sent this family a Spurs kit and Grandma decided to return the favour by knitting a jumper for Thomas).



It is fantastic. I understood the theory of Norwegian handknitting but it was really nice for me to see a finished piece. The jumper was knit in the round as a tube, all the way to the neck. Sleeve holes were cut into the finished tube and the sleves inserted, then folded back, over the cut holes. These were then sewn in place to prevent any fraying. The work is beautiful and the finishing has been lovingly carried out.

Thomas was more interested in the placemats.

2 comments:

Janey said...

Wow! That Norwegian jumper is awe inspiring.

Your Relish is looking wonderful, I might add that to my Ravelry queue!

Piglottie said...

You have been busy! And the Norwegian jumper is amazing :)