Thursday 29 November 2007

Speedy Gloves Revisited

Being impressed as I was with how quickly the "Twilley Freedom Spirit" pattern for gloves knitted up, I decided to scrap my idea of doing a 4ply set for Debbie. So, she is getting a pair made out of the other ball of "Air"; and I thought I'd show you the step-by-step approach as these are knitted up on two needles, rather than in the round.

So, we cast on, and we knit - before long, shaping the thumb gusset in the centre of our rectangle. Then we work on these stitches, only, to create the actual thumb - keeping the rest of the stitches on the same needles... just ignoring them for a short time.





As you can see, the thumb is placed on the 'fold' between the palm and back of the glove.

Once the thumb is created, the stitches are knit together until there's only a few left on the needles. The yarn is then thread through these and pulled tight. The seam has to be sewn up. We pick up stitches across the base of the thumb to create a complete 'rectangle' to form the rest of the palm of the hand.

The same process - minus the gusset - is repeated for the first finger. Here you can see the glove turned inside out to knit up the seam.



To create the second finger, we pick up stitches from the base of the first finger, knitting five more stitches on either side to create the next finger... and sew on, sewing up the seams as we go...



...until we reach the last finger. We don't sew up just yet. The frill has to be added by picking up stitches at the wrist and knitting a few more rows...



...until you turn the whole thing inside-out and sew it up...whereupon...



You realise you've made a cock up.



Note the frill on the glove on the left and the rubbish 'frill' on the right. Bugger. It's because I ran out of the yarn. So, after some pondering today, I've decided to crochet on and extension (yes that was a mention of the Dark Art) in lilac. I'm going to justify these as Driving Gloves for Debbie - to help her tell her left from her right... left for lilac.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a really neat pattern! I like it, and it looks lovely in Air.

gilraen said...

I agree a great looking pattern, you make it look so so easy Fiona! They are lovely. :)

Linda said...

Thank you for the little glove description. They look great.

Cinders said...

Thanks for the description. It looks intruiging. is it my filthy mind , or does that photo of the thumb glove look rude!? LOL (yeah its my mind)

Hellbelle said...

Cool gloves. Or should that be warm gloves? I like them, anyway ;)