Monday 23 April 2007

SEX and Odd Socks

Now there's a title that sounds ruder than it actually is. :-)
I popped into "Wool" (www.knitwool.co.uk) in Stockport on Friday. It was the shop's first birthday but I couldn't stay for the party because we had another viewer (even though we've accepted an offer). However, I still did some shopping, and check out these goodies:



Here we have five balls of navy, three yellow and one blue ball of "DB Cashmerino DK". The blue will form part of the band for the baby hat ('Snug') that I'm making for Bump (my niece/nephew due in November). I'm going to use the yellow and navy for a moon and stars baby blanket. It's so soft. I kept squeezing it as I sat on the bus home. :-)

Here's some nice-and-cheap multi-colour ("Stylecraft - Wondersoft") I'm going to use to make a hooded jacket for Bump. (I made one for Thomas in pale blue but didn't photograph it). The jacket has a pointy pixie hood and is knitted in moss stitch. It was great fun to make so I'm glad I have an excuse to make another.



And here's a "Jitterbug" treat to myself! On the left is "Florentina" and on the right "Mardi Gras". Now that's how vivid "Jitterbugs" are supposed to be.
So, those odd socks. Here they are. On the right, we have an "Opal - Hundertwasser" and on the left, an "Opal - Neon" that I also bought on Friday.
Have I got a really weird case of Second Sock Syndrome? Nope - the BF asked me on Friday morning if I would make a pair of rainbow striped socks for his sister's birthday (this coming Wednesday). "Opal - Feelings" would have been perfect but unfortunately "Wool" didn't have any. Aileen offered to order it for me and though she's fast, it wouldn't have been quick enough. Still, I think the "Neon" will be fab.
And an update on househunting... We've seen seven altogether - none of them any good. Why don't people present their houses in the best possible light? We've seen houses with holes in the interior walls and rooms full of rubbish (some of it rubble). We've had people point out the half finished work: "Well, we were going to do..." At one house I ripped my trousers because there was no carpet on the stairs - just bare stair rods and nails sticking out.
These houses, I should point out, are the ones being sold as "needing no work". If I had known they were fixer-uppers I wouldn't have gone to see them.
Then there was the house we went to where the owner was in the bath.
Don't these people watch "House Doctor"? :-)

10 comments:

Auntie Noo said...

The owner was in the bath???? - That's just tooo funny! Loely haul there btw!

Fiona Reynolds said...

Yes - he was. His son showed us around downstairs where we spent longer than we would have done, to give him time to get out of the bath. We weren't really sure what to do with ourselves.

Kai said...

how rude!! :) he knew you were coming round and still decided to have a bath? hmm.. some people..

love the scrummy yarns and that pattern for the hoodie sounds v.cool. can you let me know where i can lay my mitts on it? Meera would look adorable in one!

Hellbelle said...

Cool shopping.

Nowt as queer as folk, as they say.

Fiona Reynolds said...

Kai - I got the jacket pattern off a freebie site (yippee!) but can't remember which one. I'll dig it out in the next couple of days and email you the link. :-)

dreamcatcher said...

Good grief people are clueless about selling their houses - I mean, I know the market is still a seller's market but honestly!

Lovely yarn haul :-)

belaybunny said...

House hunting is the pits, so good luck with your's. Very nice stash enhancement, and the odd socks are looking great.

belaybunny said...

PS, ooops, I didn't mean your socks were odd!!! Should have said the 2 single socks were fab ;)

gilraen said...

Cleaning the bath I could understand, but in it! Bleugh!

Lovely purchases. Aileen is lovely. :)

I love the Mardi-Gras and your new 'odd' socks. Lovely colours. :)

WildPurl said...

My you have been knitting a lot of socks! They are all in lovely colours, too, but teh last thing I need is more sock yarn. I'll have to make do with vicarious sock yarn appreciation!
You do wonder about people don;t you? Maybe they just don't realise...