Saturday 15 March 2008

New Curtains

Darth Sewing Machine and I have been getting on surprisingly well of late. I spent yesterday sewing the bargain material I bought last weekend into curtains for our bedroom. (Apologies for the quality of these photos - the flash is on the blink).

Our bedroom is painted Soft Truffle (chocolate), Almost Oyster (pale pink) and Cotton (white). For the window, I've made both a Roman Blind (earlier posts) and now some curtains in cream and chocolate. Our bedroom is in the attic, hence the sloping ceiling on both sides of the window. It can be a gloomy room on an overcast day.



Before (above) and after (below).



The curtains are made of cream cotton and I've added a piece of chocolate material, studded with diamante, at the bottom. It was really important to get the joins in the two colours to exactly match the level of the window ledge, otherwise there would have been too many lines (driving the BF crackers).

I was originally going put a piece of dusky pink material between the cream and chocolate to match the colour scheme of the room, but with the soon to be added pinkish Roman Blind, I felt this would have been too much.



Here are the closed curtains with a cushion I made, for the rocking chair, to match the room's colours. I don't like this one as much as the 'Ruby Hampton Check' one on the bed, which was made to splash some complementary but slightly contrasting colour into the room. (I prefer this one because I took the time to make the piping and think it looks much better).

3 comments:

Kai said...

Love the curtains and I can see the blind working really well in there.

Cinders said...

your sewing is fabulous. I want some 2 tone curtains for our lounge and dinning room when its finally decorated. Can I book you in?
Glad you enjoyed Paris. we've been 3 times but as we had the kids in tow, moaning, I never got to the Louvre. One day!

belaybunny said...

Great curtains ;) I've yet to tackle anything bigger than kid's clothes!!!

I love your paris photos - I must go back sometime, I last went when I was 15!!