Tuesday 24 July 2007

Stitchy McYarnpants and the Ballad of BaggyPants and Luna

If you were ever wishing that Stitchy McYarnpants's wonderful Museum of Kitsch Stitches was a real location, rather than a virtual one... then wish no more. To see knitting patterns for outfits like these (squirrels not included),



then hurry along to 'Fuel', Wilmslow Road, Withington, Manchester. The ladies loo is decorated with 1960s and 1970s Patons and Robin patterns. It is fab!

And now, to the tale of Baggypants and Luna.

On one side of our house, lives Baggypants. He's so furry that he looks like he's wearing trousers. Climbing fences is challenging, as he's a little on the fuzzy side, but he has found a post that he shuffles up like a caterpillar. From there, he peruses his empire - a view of six gardens - until...



Luna spots him. She lives on the other side of our house and I strongly suspect that she doesn't like Baggypants. She's playful enough when climbing conservatories to look in the upstairs windows of the houses opposite, or battering bumblebees in the lavender. However, when she spots Baggypants, the hackles raise and the howling starts.



On Saturday, Baggypants was quietly sniffing around the planters in my garden, when Luna smelled him. She couldn't have seen him - she was on the other side of the fence. I know this because I spotted her face peering under the fence at him, before moving on, to find more suitable paw swiping positions.

This lasted a few minutes, before the howling started. Then Luna was at the top of the fence, with Baggypants scurrying as fast as his furry bum could move, under the fence. At this point, both cats' owners appeared and separated the two of them.

The saga continues.

7 comments:

Seahorse said...

Wish I lived nearer Manchester! I'm a huge fan of those mad old patterns!

Cats, eh? I think I feel rather sorry for Mr BP!

Linda said...

They are great aren't they, those old patterns!

Fiona Reynolds said...

I'll take a camera next time! Every wall was plastered with patterns.

Fi said...

Stepford Wives! they scare me...

We are having cat wars too. I fear our old chap is fighting for his territory. It would be less alarming if the other cat wasn't so horribly ugly!

The abandoned stole is the Mystery Stole 3 knitalong. I am not an experienced lace knitter, and the charts made my eyes all fuzzy! So it went in the frog pond.

Cinders said...

Hi Fiona,
seems a long time ago since we met at Wool In Stockport for that crochet workshop.
I now have my own blog too.

your story reminds me of my cats and next doors Teddy- teddy is 9 and we had the cheek to introduce 2 little upstarts Sox and Cinders 4 years ago. To say that teddy is afronted by these 2 interlopers into his territory is a mild understatement. it culminated in teddy charging through our catflap and breaking it (supposidly magnetic opening only!!!) he used to spray all over our house!(he's been done).
There are 6 cats within the space of 4 houses so the catawalling is frequent as each vies for its own territory!!!

Fiona Reynolds said...

Hi, Ruth

Great to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Fiona,

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have now checked out the world's biggest stash. Will definately show Toby and then he can't complain when I buy more.

Luv,

Abbey