Sunday 1 July 2007

Lost and Found: The Sock Mojo

I started the "Fortissima - Sombrero" socks over a month ago, and something unusual happened... I lost all enthusiasm and couldn't finish them. There has been a love/hate relationship between these socks and I. When I actually picked them up and started knitting, I enjoyed making them but as soon as I put them down, I developed an acute dislike of the yarn.

This weekend I have been forced to finish them. I've packed away most of my yarn and patterns, in preparation for moving so decided that sock yarn was the way to go for the next few days. With this in mind, I also packed up my spare sets of DPNs so that I would have to finish the "Sombreros", before I treated myself to knitting up some lovely "Jitterbugs".

Perhaps it's time to branch out away from the old faithful that is the "Opal" freebie pattern, but not this week. I can make the socks without referring to the pattern now and that's very handy skill when I'm trying to pack the non-essentials up.

So, here are the much-maligned "Sombreros". I'm really pleased with them now that they are finished. :-)



Now that they are finished, I've already knit 20-odd rows of my "Jitterbug - Mardi-Gras" socks. Look at the colours of this gorgeous skein. As ever, the colours are incredibly vibrant and it's like knitting jewels to wear on your feet.



It has been a few months since I had to wind a skein into a ball. I'd forgotten how long this can take...unless the BF lends a hand, or more accurately two. He is such a star.

6 comments:

Kai said...

the Sombrero socks are lovely and that Jitterbug Mardi-Gras is absolutely stunning! I know what you mean about not enjoying the yarn you're using to knit though... i have the same issue. :(

Janey said...

Nice sombrero's! That Jitterbug is to die for! The colours look divine!

Linda said...

Wow, all the colour! The socks are great, well done for finishing them.

Fi said...

That yarn is fantastic. I amy have to break my no more yarn rule (again, the rule is not really working)

Lindsey said...

Ooh, I love the colours in that Jitterbug. Yummy! And your finished socks are great, too. Good luck with the move....hope you have some time for knitting! :-)

belaybunny said...

I love the socks, what great colours. And the jitterbug looks really cool!