Wednesday 3 February 2010

The Great North Swim

Hmm, yet another non-knitting related post. Normal service will resume at some point and I have more kitten updates and pix to follow. We're in the midst of bloody-poo at the moment which is not fun. Vets tomorrow.

Anyway, I just wanted to draw people's attention to the fact that I will be swimming one mile across Lake Windermere in September for the Marie Curie Cancer Trust.

If anyone would like to donate and honestly, there is no pressure to do so, this is my Just Giving page (complete with a rare photo of my actual face - I usually prefer to hide):

http://www.justgiving.com/Fiona-is-actually-doing-some-exercise

If you'd like to know why I am doing it, here's why:

"I may live to regret this but I have decided to do the Great North Swim for the Marie Curie Cancer Trust.

"I hate exercise and I hate being cold so this was obviously a logical decision. I'm going to be swimming one mile across Lake Windermere at 1 o'clock, on Sunday September 5th. I am reliably informed that there are no sharks in there but I'm not sure what the guarantees are on pike and leeches.

"There is a group of us from the office doing this - though we're all fund-raising separately. I'll be bringing up the rear, no doubt.

"We've chosen Marie Curie Cancer Trust as our team's charity for a number of reasons. Cancer is a major public health problem and there aren't many people who haven't been affected by cancer. My Nana died 13 years ago of stomach and lung cancer. She was a very pragmatic woman. When I was 16 she suggested I become an undertaker on the basis that "it's a job that will never go out of fashion". Did I mention the twisted sense of humour?

"So, that's what I'm doing and why I'm doing it."

I've started my training sessions - 800m in around 30minutes last night, which wasn't bad. In May we're starting open-water training, when it's a bit warmer. So we'll be sampling the delights of Salford Quays.

No comments: