Monday 8 February 2010

Concorde

What's this?



It's a dodgy photo of Concorde (Alpha-Charlie, the flagship of the Concorde fleet, to be precise) and I can't make it rotate to landscape.

Why is it here?

Because I've been on Concorde. (Brace yourself).



Now that's not a bad way to start the week, is it? Being on Concorde that is, not seeing a photo of me.

This was all work related: I was attending a meeting on air quality. (A meeting on air quality held at Manchester Airport - no the irony is not lost on me either). Anyway, I spent the day, sitting under the right wing and at lunch time we went on board.

It used to cost £3,500 each way to fly from London to New York and the new seats are by Conran at the bargain price of £4,000. Oh, I'll have ten.



It was amazing to be on Concorde. The guy who was showing us around was a steward when it actually flew and he had a number of stories to tell about the different 'slebs that used to use it. Pavarotti and Michael Jackson used to book two seats each when they flew, for entirely different reasons. The Queen and Prince Philip didn't sit next to each other. The most interesting stuff was about how hot the plane used to get and how the body used to stretch as it flew at supersonic speeds.



But, I'm not sure where the luxury was. As one of the women in our tour group said: "I've been on nicer flights to Malaga".



But then I am a yob and a heathen.

2 comments:

cobweb said...

Cool! What conference was it? I'm an Air Quality Consultant.

Cinders said...

just been catching up on all your posts. The kittens are adorable. I'm all gooey! i saw concorde fly overhead as i was driving in Crumpsall one day. it was very low indeed on its landing path.
you asked had I read Steig larsson? yes I've devoure those. I loved them. havnt read the last one yet.I'm waitng for the paperback version.