Sunday 22 March 2009

Something That Has Gone Well

When it comes to cakes, I don't do icing. I don't eat it; my attempts to make it leave much to be desired; and as for doing anything pretty with it... you're having a laugh aren't you? However, I've baked a fruit cake for my Auntie as it is her 60th birthday on Saturday.

(She and my Mam are twins and, no, my Mam ain't getting a cake 'cos she's getting married so I've bought that from these lovely people www.slattery.co.uk and I'm taking her to Italy for her birthday).

The BF has spent all of this week pointing out that all I have made is a Christmas cake and, as it is March, this must be unlucky. Therefore, he could help me out by eating it. He's so self-sacrificing.

This led me to think that perhaps I should do some sort of birthday icing. Hmmm.

Several years ago I solved my icing problem by always buying ready rolled icing. It's like putting a table cloth over a table. Fantastic.

And, yes, I am so lazy that I won't just buy a block of the stuff and use a rolling pin to foll it out. So, that's the covering sorted.

It still looked liked a Christmas cake so I bought some writing icing. That stuff is brilliant. It's so easy to use. So, my Auntie's cake now looks like this...



...ok, it won't win any awards but it beats the offering off a few years ago where the icing I made was so runny it slid off the cake and pooled on the bench.