Saturday 12 July 2008

Pressies for Thomas

The Back Seat Knitter has also been forcing me to buy yarn. Can you believe it? Or more realistically, are you jealous?

Yes, two days after popping into "Wool" in Stockport and accidentally buying the stash to knit Christmas presents for Lois, the BF asked me to knit a couple of items for his nephew, Thomas.



So, I bought the above at "Kemps" in Sunderland, which will make this for Christmas. (The Jean Greenhowe Jelly Babies are intended to go in this). This is a design from Zoe Mellor's "Nursery Knits", and the BF is very taken with the elephant on the pocket.



The original patterns are in "Rowan Handknit Cotton" and that would have worked out really pricey so I have substituted with "Sirdar Cotton DK". (I'm really becoming a big fan of Sirdar's yarns).

The other stash that we bought that day went into this jumper, also from the same book, which will be a birthday present.



It knitted up really quickly and I love how crisp the numbering and turquoise pyramid pattern are highlighted in the yarn. The BF picked the colours and I think I would have chosen more vivid colours, certainly instead of the lemon, navy and purple. They look almost washed out to me - I'd have gone for royal blue, yellow and violet.

However, this is a great knit and I'm happy with the finished product...



...especially these lovely buttons.

No comments: