Monday 25 August 2008

Project

I've decided that it's about time that I sorted out the spare room. It's currently the same off-white/magnolia-ish colour it was painted when the house first went up. The curtains and blinds are the pale blue ones which the owners left us with, which is fine... but I want it all reddy/yellowy/orangey... which sounds vile, but I have a plan.



Above are the pictures, I finally got around to framing at the weekend - about eight of them, and they've been waiting, oh, only over a year for me to do so. Carpe diem, and all that.

The one on the right is one of two (small) posters I picked up in Paris in March. The colour scheme is being built around these (very yellowy with 'blotches' of deep red to contrast) and our bedding (deep red). I plan to paint one wall a deep terracotta and leave the other three walls a creamy-yellow colour, with more emphasis on the cream. (I'm not going for a double yellow line effect).

Next to the terracotta wall, at the foot of the bed is this dark wood chest of drawers and chair. The BF wants to put some of his wooden games on it, and I'm worried the unit will get scratched.



So, I'm going to make a runner out of this gorgeous cream material - to contrast with the wood and the terracotta wall. I'm also going to make a couple of cushions out of it. (£12 per metre and it was a double width, which strikes me as a good price).



I'm in two minds about whether to make piping for the runner, but I don't think I will. I'm definitely going to make piping for the cushions. They look better with piping.

And, then, I found a tip bargain for my curtains. The room has two windows and I'm going to make one curtain for each (as they're only small windows, and a pair for each would just look wrong). I picked up this material for only....



...£14 and there is 4metres of it!! It's thick and heavy and I think it will look fantastic. I'm going to make some Roman blinds for the windows from the left over curtain material from the curtains I made for my bedroom (which are cream).

Fingers crossed that none of this goes hideously wrong.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Its going to look lovely, I am sure it will go just fine!

Cinders said...

sounds a really nice colour scheme to me. have fun decorating

Anonymous said...

That room is going to look fantastic. <3