Saturday 19 April 2008

New Togs

Sometimes, I'm alarmed by the price of yarn. In these cases, I usually substitute - especially when I want something hard wearing for nephews, nieces and the BF. As I mentioned on a forum, I'm well aware of his approach to clothes - scrunch them up at the sleeves and dump them on the floor when he's done. (I don't pick them up). Yes, this could be annoying, but this is how he is, how he's always been and life's too short to attempt to change this.

So, I accept this and he gets yarn substitutions, unless I can get a seriously good price on a nicer yarn.

However, when considering the price of yarn I take into account that its purchase produces two benefits. One, I'm buying for my hobby (and there are certainly more expensive hobbies) and; two, I get new clothes out of it.



So, here's my latest top (above): "Tulip" (Rowan 41), knitted in "Rowan - Damask". I'm not terribly imaginative with clothes. I find a style that suits me and, in this case, that's wrap-over cardigans and tops. I'm pretty self conscious about my chest and these don't make me feel too top heavy.

I knitted "Tulip" last year in a dark blue shade, and liked the pattern so much, I decided to make another - so I'm not too imaginative there, either!



Here's the "Admiral R Druck" yarn knitted up. I was calling this blend 'Smarties' but, while I like the finished pattern, I'm disappointed that the final articles aren't as funky as the balled yarn was. :-)

5 comments:

Linda said...

Yarn is pricey but I suppose if you class it as clothes, entertainment, hobby, craft work and medtation aid then it is well worth the price!! I like Tulip, I just had trouble with my border but this year I might make something similar from the Rowan summer book in Damask.

Kai said...

Subbing is always good. I should do it more often!

Love Tulip (again!) :) And it's amazing how the yarn looks fabby skeined/balled, yet turn out not so great when knitted. I've had that happen a few times.. :(

Hellbelle said...

Your top looks really pretty. It's a nice pink.

The socks look pretty blumming funky to me!!

Janey said...

I know exactly what you mean about funky balls but less funky knits! The only bonus is when it happens the other way...ugly skeins turn into beautiful colourways when knit!

Great looking socks though!

gilraen said...

The Tulip looks lovely :) I too like to knit some patterns more than once :)