Wednesday 2 April 2008

Knitting Books

At last week's knitting group, Claire brought up a selection of knitting books and I got my grubby mitts on this one:



I had to have it.

"Knitwear" by Sasha Kagan is a beautiful book. It's full of gorgeous Fairisle and Intarsia colourwork. There are cardigans, coats, jumpers and scarves. For the most part, they're all incredibly wearable - there are more patterns in there that I would like to make and wear, than not.

(Sadly I can't find any online pictures).

The colourwork ranges from simple Fairisle to patterns that incorporate colour and texture, using cables and other stitches to compliment the designs. She also uses a range of yarns which is fun too. Having ogled the book many, many, many times, I'm really impressed with the charts and pattern instructions - they all seem pretty straightforward to follow.

One criticism - some of the photos don't do justice to the work. For example, one of the cardigans which is knitted from very dark yarns is photographed in dark wood. Not terribly helpful for looking at the design. There's another outfit - a long coat - where we are only shown the back... I wonder what dark secret is hidden around the front?

However, I'm very happy with this buy...

...which is more than can be said for "Rowan 43".



Well, I like this - but isn't it very similar to "Tulip" ("Rowan 41")? A version of which I'm currently knitting now. This "Rowan 43" version is also knitted in "Damask". In fact, most of the patterns that I did like in this edition are very similar to patterns in "Rowan 41".



I like the jumper she's wearing... but again - awfully similar to a pattern in another edition.

OK, so it's not as bad as "Rowan 42" which was just too '80s Heidi for my taste, but I felt thoroughly uninspired.

5 comments:

Kai said...

ohh the Knitwear book looks lovely!

Hellbelle said...

So you won't be making the jumper with the wings then??!

gilraen said...

I found this http://www.sashakagan.co.uk/knittingkits_kwear.html with pics. It looks lovely :)

Soo said...

Oooh - I love Sasha Kagan stuff. What a lovely book!

Cinders said...

The book looks good. cant say I'm a fan of Rowan myelf. Too expensive and they often dont go up to my size.
Your purple cardi is lovely.