Sunday 11 July 2010

Cornwall and the Eden Project

Apologies for the break in transmission. The BF and I have been on holiday. We've been to Cornwall - somewhere that neither of us have been before and we're attempting to fly only once each year. I'm not sure how that balances with the fact that we drove there and have driven over 1,000 miles this week but I'm hoping that's a little more environmentally friendly than flying.



We spent the week in Falmouth which is a really pretty town and, most importantly, has loads of great places to eat. This week, we has been mostly eating Mexican, Italian, Caribbean, English, French and fish and chips. Our guest house - the Chellowdene, if anyone is looking for a recommendation - was lovely: clean (immaculately so), friendly but not intrusive proprieters and top-notch breakfasts. To my mind, there was not a huge amount to see in Falmouth but the beach and coastline is stunning, Pendennis Castle is definitely worth a trip and, as part of a whalewatching trip only, the Maritime Museum is rather good - especially the exhibit about knitting lighthouse keepers. (The town's woolshop, sadly, isn't up to much).

So, stand by for a series of posts just about our holiday.

(I'll post about the bloody mini-diamond socks I've been attempting to knit for Niece Number 1 later this week. I am on the fourth attempt with these buggers!)

On our first day, as it was raining, we headed up to the Eden Project, where the biomes nestle on the hillside like giant maggots. I suspect that this was not the design aim (but then the 2012 Olympic logo probably wasn't intended to be interpreted as it is, either).



I really enjoyed wandering around the Eden Project - the tropical and Meditteranean biomes are stunning but the gardens outside are incredible too. I didn't find it that informative but it was certainly a lovely place to be.



I'm no horticulturalist but some of the plants are stunning and there are sculptures dotted around the complex, like these figures representing the Bacchanalia.



Or the giant bee!



I didn't see many actual bees.

2 comments:

Cinders said...

Hi Fiona. looks lik you had a wonderful holiday.I'd love to explore cornwall properly. i've only been to Newquay. I have a 'to do list of places to visit! Thanks for explaining the unwanted posts and adverts. arnt they annoying.?You cant even have a blog wothout some ciber firm pretending to be a blogger posting on your site. \grrr!

Linda said...

Its fab there!