Wednesday 15 October 2008

Zoo Bag

This has knit up fast. I now need to sew it up. Hopefully, this will not take long. We know how I feel about sewing (and yet I've started a night class on garment making - Darth Sewing Machine and myself currently enjoying a ceasefire. It hasn't committed GBH on me and I haven't threatened to dismantle it).



It's a simple knit - just a very long rectangle folded in half to create a sack. The top of the back is to be folded over and sewn down to create a draw-string tie. Yes, it was a very long exercise in st-st but the striping relieved the monotony, and the elephant on the pocket was a fun little Intarsia detail. Yes, that is an elephant, not a dog - it's a Zoo bag, after all.

New technique of the knit was French knitting the cord. (Below, on a bacdrop of lovely stitch definition).



I've never done French-knitting before and the pattern didn't actually require it. It said to knit two lengths of tie - back and forth across six stitches for a metre. Struck me as boring and besides... I had a new GADGET!



From Ally Pally.

3 comments:

Hellbelle said...

Cool elephant! I used to love french knitting when I was little. I remember spending hours in my Grandma's garden making great long lengths of knitted rope that I never did anything with...

Cinders said...

Happy belated birthday. I love the swift. my hubby wouldnt have a clue where to start on such things!!!

I love the zoo bag. you knit very quickly. nice haul from ally Pally too.

blog-blethers said...

Great bag and love the colours you've used:o)